As one of only thirty universities worldwide designated by Ashoka U as a Changemaker Campus, Brigham Young University has been recognized for its dedication to connecting students with social innovation education and resources.
Ashoka U, a subset of the international nonprofit organization Ashoka, is an initiative set forth to promote social entrepreneurship in universities. BYU was named for its ability to produce influential students who make a difference on a local and a global stage.
BYU received the Changemaker Campus title through the efforts of the Ballard Center for Economic Self-Reliance. The center incorporates the ideas of a Changemaker Campus by encouraging and teaching students to find innovative solutions to social problems.
The following is the selection criteria for a university to be designated as a Changemaker Campus:
- Institutional commitment to building the field of social innovation education
- Evidence of strong student, faculty, and administrator interest in social entrepreneurship
- Support from president and/or provost, and active championship from one or multiple deans on campus
- A programmatic initiative is already underway around social entrepreneurship: initiative, major, minor, certificate, center, or a variant thereof, ensuring an “institutional home” for social entrepreneurship
- A mandated Change Leader is accountable for the partnership from one year to the next, with senior-level support and commitment to this as a multi-year initiative
- Commitment to developing a long-term funding strategy to keep social entrepreneurship as a core part of the institution’s offerings
In conjunction with being designated as a Changemaker Campus, the Ballard Center developed a Changemaker Creed:
I am a Changemaker.
I have a unique set of talents, resources, and time that I will devote to create the changes I want to see in the world.
I will seek to contribute to causes that align with my passions through donating, volunteering, working for, or even creating my own organization.
I pledge to support organizations that make a meaningful and sustainable impact. I seek entities that:
- Address the root causes of society’s greatest problems (not just the symptoms)
- Measure outcomes and impact
- Promote self-reliance
I will continuously improve how I assess organizations and my own impact on the world.
I provide unique talents to entities that align with my passions and provide sustainable impact. By incorporating these objectives in my life, I will engage in lifelong service as a true Changemaker.