Organizational Leadership and Strategy, Department of
Office: 590 TNRB
Phone: (801) 422-6348
Curtis LeBaron (Ph.D., the University of Texas at Austin, 1998) is an Associate Professor of Organizational Leadership & Strategy at Brigham Young University, where he teaches MBA and executive education courses on leadership, international human resources, and qualitative research methods. He has had faculty appointments at several universities, including the University of Colorado at Boulder (1998-2001); the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (2007) where he taught doctoral courses on qualitative research methods; Oxford University (2008) where he conducted research on organizational strategy and practice; and the University of Sydney (2013) where he continued his research on materiality and embodiment in organizational activity. LeBaron conducts video-based research on human behavior within organizational settings, focusing on topics such as interaction and identity, knowledge and innovation, and organizational strategy activities and practices. He has published dozens of peer-reviewed articles and chapters in leading academic outlets, as well as two edited books: Studies in Language and Social Interaction (Erlbaum) and Embodied Interaction: Language and body in the material world (Cambridge University Press). His research has been recognized by a variety of organizations, including the National Institute of Health (Bethesda), and the National Communication Association (LSI division). Examples of research funding include: the National Science Foundation (2002, 2004); a Warren Jones Fellowship (Marriott School of Management, 2005 to present); and an Erasmus Mundus Fellowship (European Union, 2010).
- PhD, , University of Texas at Austin, 1998
- MA, , University of Utah, 1993
- BA, , Brigham Young University, 1989
- Leadership & Strategy - Secondary
- Organizational Behavior - Primary
- Organizational Leadership & Communication - Secondary
- "How gender creeps into talk", Contemporary studies in conversation analysis, Sage, Los Angeles, Paul Drew & John Heritage, 2013.
- "Handover Patterns: An observational study of critical care physicians", BMC Health Services Research, Edition 11, Volume 12, Issue 11, 2012.
- "Microethnography", The International Encyclopedia of Communication Blackwell, Cambridge, MA, D. Wolfgang, 2012.
- "The earlier the longer: Disproportionate time is spent on patients discussed early in attending physician handoffs", Archives of Internal Medicine, Edition 22, Volume 172, Issue 22, Pages 1762-1764, JAMA, 2012.
- "Embodied interaction: Language and body in the material world", Pages 600, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2011.
- "Embodied interaction in the material world: An introduction", Embodied interaction: Language and body in the material world, Pages 26, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, J. Streeck, C. Goodwin, C. LeBaron, 2011.
- "Epistemic authority in employment interviews: Glancing, pointing, touching", Discourse & Communication, Edition 1, Volume 5, Issue 1, Pages 3-22, Sage, 2011.
- "Pursuing a response: Prodding recognition and expertise within a surgical team.", Embodied interaction: Language and body in the material world, Pages 16, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, J. Streeck, C. Goodwin, C. LeBaron, 2011.
- "“Can you see the cystic artery yet?” A simple matter of trust", Journal of Pragmatics, Edition 2, Volume 43, Issue 2, Pages 20, 2011.
- "Identity work during boundary moments: Managing positive identities through talk and embodied interaction", Exploring positive identities and organizations: Building a theoretical and research foundation., Pages 24, Routledge, New York, J. Dutton and L. Roberts, 2009.
- "Book Review. Joseph L. Badaracco Jr., Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature", Human Resource Management, Volume 42, Pages 335-337, Harvard Business School, Boston, 2009.
- "Microethnography", The International Encyclopedia of Communication, Blackwell, Cambridge, K. Tracy, 2008.
- ""What are We Missing?" Usability's Indexical Ground", Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Volume 17, Pages 63-85, 2008.
- "Arguing and thinking errors", Discursive Research in Practice: New approaches to psychology and interaction, Pages 18, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, A. Hepburn and S. Wiggins, 2007.
- "Formulating the Triangle of Doom", Gesture, Volume 7, Pages 97-118, John Benjamins, 2007.
- "Formulating the triangle of doom.", Handbook of patient-provider interactions: Raising and responding to concerns about health, illness, and disease., Pages 26, Hampton Press, Cresskill, NJ, Wayne Beach, 2006.
- "Cultural identity among Mormons: A microethnographic study of Family Home Evening", From Generation to Generation: Maintaining Cultural Identity Over Time, Pages 25, Hampton Press, Cresskill, NJ, Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz, 2006.
- "Microethnography", The Sage dictionary of social research methods, Pages 3, Sage, Newbury Park, California, V. Jupp, 2006.
- "Multiple involvements within group interaction", Research on Language and Social Interaction, Volume 39, Pages 41-80, 2006.
- "The mystery of the missing referent: Objects, procedures, and the problem of the instruction follower", Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Pages 10, ACM, New York, S. Greenberg & G. Mark, 2006.
- "Considering the social and material surround: Toward microethnographic understandings of nonverbal behavior.", Volume The sourcebook of nonverbal measures: Going beyond words, Pages 13, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, Valerie Manusov, 2005.
- "Gesture and the transparency of understanding", Volume Studies in language and social interaction, Pages 15, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, Phillip Glenn, Curtis LeBaron, and Jenny Mandelbaum, 2003.
- "CD-ROM to accompany Cognition and Instruction, 20, 2", 2002.
- "Gesture and human understanding at work", Volume Action, Gesture, and Meaning, Pages 21, Kyoritu, Japan, S. Kita and S. Hiro, 2002.
- "Learner articulation as interactional achievement: Studying the conversation of gestures", Cognition and Instruction, Volume 20, Pages 249-282, 2002.
- "Technology does not exist independent of its use", Volume Computer Supported Collaborative Learning II, Pages 12, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, Rogers Hall, Timothy Koschmann, and N. Miyake, 2002.
- "Body disclosures", Journal of Communication, Volume 52, Pages 617-639, 2002.
- "CD-ROM to accompany Journal of Communication, 52, 3", 2002.
- "Closing up closings: Showing the relevance of the social and material surround to the completion of an interaction", Journal of Communication, Volume 52, Pages 542-565, 2002.
- "Research on the relationship between verbal and nonverbal communication: Emerging integrations", Journal of Communication, Volume 52, Pages 499-521, 2002.
- "Dissecting common ground: Examining an instance of reference repair", Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Pages 516-521, 2001.
- "Gesture, knowledge, and the world", Volume Language and Gesture, Pages 20, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, David McNeill, 2000.
- "How gender creeps into talk", Research on Language and Social Interaction, Volume 31, Pages 59-74, 1998.
- "Space, surveillance, and interactional framing of participants’ experience during a police interrogation", Human Studies, Volume 20, Pages 1-25, 1997.
- "Looking for Verbal Deception in Clarence Thomas's Testimony", Looking for Verbal Deception in Clarence Thomas's Testimony, Volume The Lynching of Language: Gender, Politics, and Power in the Hill-Thomas Hearings, Pages 19, University of Illinois Press, Chicago, Sandra Ragan, Dianne Bystrom, Lynda Lee Kaid, Christina Beck, 1996.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Visiting Scholar, University of Sydney 2013 - 2013
- Associate Professor, Brigham Young University 2004
- Visiting Scholar, Said Business School, Oxford Unviersity 2008 - 2008
- Visiting Associate Professor, Ross Business School, University of Michigan 2007 - 2007
- Assistant Professor, Brigham Young University 2001 - 2004
- Assistant Professor, University of Colorado at Boulder 1998 - 2001
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship , European Union, , 2010
- Top Four Paper Award , National Communication Association (LSI Division) , 2007
- Teacher of the Year , MBA students in Organizational Behavior & Human Resources , 2006
- Warren Jones Fellowship , Marriott School , 2006
- Outstanding Teaching Award , Marriott School , 2005
- Warren Jones Fellowship , Marriott School , 2005
- Research Grant -- Supplemental Extension , National Science Foundation (NSF), Division of Research, Evaluation, and Communication , 2004
- Top Publication in 5 Years , National Communication Association, Language and Social Interaction Division , 2002
- SOAR Award (campus-wide, student-voted award for teaching excellence) , University of Colorado at Boulder , 2001
- Teaching Grant , Student Computing Initiative, University of Colorado at Boulder , 2000
- Dissertation of the Year , National Communication Association, Language and Social Interaction Division , 1999
- Teacher of the Year , Delta Gamma, University of Colorado at Boulder , 1999
- Teaching Grant , Student Computing Initiative, University of Colorado at Boulder , 1999
- W. Gordon Whaley Fellowship , University of Texas at Austin , 1995
- Academic Achievement Award , University of Texas at Austin , 1993
- Honor Society , Phi Kappa Phi , 1990
- Summa Cum Laude , Brigham Young University, College of Humanities , 1989
- Valedictorian , Brigham Young University, College of Humanities , 1989
- Marriott School of Management’s annual OBHR Conference and Alumni Reunion Committee/Council Member January, 2011
- Faculty Search Committee Committee/Council Member December, 2010
- Global Management Center Committee/Council Member 2009
- MBA Core Faculty Committee Committee/Council Member 2001
- Graduate Council Committee/Council Member 2009 - 2013
- University Academic Review Committee Committee/Council Member 2009 - 2012
- Strategy as Practice (Interest Group at Academy of Management) Officer (specify in Other) August, 2012 - August, 2013
- Journal of Management Inquiry Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2012 - December, 2012
- Journal of Pragmatics Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2012 - December, 2012
- Organization Studies Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2012 - December, 2012
- Strategy as Practice (Interest Group at Academy of Management) Officer (specify in Other) August, 2011 - August, 2012
- Journal of Management Inquiry Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2011 - December, 2011
- Journal of Pragmatics Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2011 - December, 2011
- Organization Studies Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2011 - December, 2011
- Articulating artifacts: When documents become voices in consequential conversations - - Academy of Management - 2012
- Know and working with things: The embodiment of expertise within organizations - University of Aalborg - Interdisciplinary AAU Workshop on Gesture and Communication - 2012
- Maintaining an organizational routine: A video-based study of physician handovers - - Academy of Management - 2012
- Maintaining an organizational routine: A video-based study of physician handovers - Organization Studies - Fourth International Symposium on Process Organization Studies - 2012
- Multimodality in organizations: A video-based study of strategy work - University of Dauphine - Special Strategy as Practice Workshop - 2012
- Negotiating conversational space in virtual meetings - Organization Studies - 7th Organization Studies Workshop - 2012
- Sociomateriality and multimodality: Using video methods to study organizational practice - EGOS - 28th European Group for Organizational Studies, Helsinki, Finland - 2012
- Strategizing as a process of articulation: How artifacts, discourses and activities mutually constitute strategy - EGOS - 28th European Group for Organizational Studies, Helsinki, Finland - 2012
- Video Data Analysis - - Academy of Management - 2012
- What is Your Campus Brand and How Do You Manage It? - Marriott School - BYU Recruiting Summit - 2012
- Aesthetic Routines: Examining Communication and Leadership in Intra-group Coordination - - 27th European Group for Organizational Studies - 2011
- Artifacts and Strategizing - HEC Montreal - Strategic Discourse Days - 2011
- Face-to-Face Leadership: A Multimodal Consideration of Bodies at Work - University of Helsinki, Network for Higher Education and Innovation Research - Leadership in Practice - 2011
- Senseshaping in Organizations: Multimodality, Mutuality and Mutability in Strategy Work - Center for Work, Technology and Stanford University, Department of Management Science and Engineering - Colloquium, Center for Work, Technology and Organization (WTO) - 2011
- Senseshaping in Organizations: Multimodality in Strategy Work - - Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management - 2011
- Senseshaping in Strategy: A Video Ethnography - Oxford University, Said Business School - Annual Conference on Strategy, Entrepreneurship, and International Business - 2011
- Strategy Communication And Take Up In Practice: A Multi-Modal Perspective - - Third International Symposium on Process Organization Studies - 2011