Marketing and Global Supply Chain, Department of
Office: 663 TNRB
John W. Gardner is an Assistant Professor of operations and global supply chain management in the Department of Business Management at Brigham Young University. Professor Gardner completed doctoral studies in Management Science at the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University. John holds an MBA from the Marriott School of Management and a Master of Arts in International and Area Studies from BYU. He also holds a Bachelor of Music for violin performance and pedagogy from the BYU School of Music.
Gardner’s professional industry experience includes five years of work at Honeywell International where he served in both the process solutions and aerospace industries. Positions included lead information technology business systems analyst, pricing and business analyst for marketing and product management, and senior financial analyst for global financial planning and analysis. John also worked as a manager of branch operations and customer service at Zions Bancorp.
Professor Gardner teaches quality management in the Marriott School for both graduates and undergraduates, and global supply chain and operations in the undergraduate program.
Gardner’s research passions focus on operational improvement through learning, innovation, and networks. His research includes the application of operations management principles such as process management and information systems to improve reliability in healthcare quality and patient satisfaction in hospitals across various contexts. The results, which examine how practices and information technologies are utilized in various contexts, have been presented at numerous conferences and are published in the Journal of Operations Management. Current research examines production improvement and workarounds.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Business Administration, The Ohio State University, 2012
- Master of Business Administration, , Brigham Young University, 2003
- Master of Arts, International and Area Studies, Brigham Young University, 2003
- Bachelor of Music, , Brigham Young University, 1999
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- "Operational and Strategic Information Processing: Complementing Healthcare IT Infrastructure", Journal of Operations Management, Volume 33-34, Pages 123-139, Elsevier, 2015.
- "Process Coordination Within a Health Care Service Supply Network", Journal of Business Logistics, Edition 4, Volume 36, Issue 4, Pages 355-373, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, Thomas Goldsby and Walter Zinn, 2015.
- "Process Quality Improvement: An Examination of General vs. Outcome-Specific Climate and Practices in Hospitals", Journal of Operations Management, Edition 4, Volume 30, Issue 4, Pages 325-339, Elsevier, 2012.
- "Information Systems, Error Analysis, and Healthcare Performance Outcomes", Academy of Management National Conference Proceedings, 2011.
- 2011 George and Marion Plossl Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship 2nd Runner Up
- 2013 Elwood S. Buffa Dissertation Competition Finalist
Certificates and Licenses:
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt Honeywell International 2006