- PhD, Accounting, University of Georgia, 1995
- MAcc, Tax, Brigham Young University, 1991
- BS, Accounting, San Jose State University, 1989
American Accounting Association
American Finance Association
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Canadian Academic Accounting Association
Certified Public Accountant, Virginia
- "The Quality of Street Cash Flow from Operations", Review of Acccounting Studies, Forthcoming, 2014.
- "Optimistic Reporting and Pessimistic Investing: Do Pro Forma Earnings Disclosures Attract Short Sellers?", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 31, Issue 1, 2014.
- "Detailed Management Earnings Forecasts: Do Analysts Listen?", Review of Acccounting Studies, Volume 18, Pages 479-521, 2013.
- "Strategic Timing of Quarterly “Pro Forma” Earnings Announcements", Jounal of Business Finance & Accounting, Volume 39, Pages 315-359, 2012.
- "Has the Regulation of Pro Forma Reporting in the U.S. Changed Investors' Perceptions of Pro Forma Earnings Disclosures?", Jounal of Business Finance & Accounting, Volume 39, Pages 845-1159, 2012.
- "Investor Sentiment and Pro Forma Earnings Disclosures", Journal of Accounting Research, Volume 50, Pages 1-40, 2012.
- "Do Managers Use Earnings Guidance to Influence Street Earnings Exclusions?", Review of Accounting Studies, Volume 16, Pages 501-527, 2011.
- "U.S. Managers' Use of 'Pro Forma' Adjustments to Meet Strategic Earnings Targets", Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Volume 36, Pages 297-326, 2009.
- "Who Trades on Pro Forma Earnings Information?", The Accounting Review, Volume 28, Pages 581-69-19, 2007.
- "Pro Forma Disclosure and Investor Sophistication: External Validation of Experimental Evidence Using Archival Data", Accounting, Organizations and Society, Volume 32, Pages 201-222, 2007.
- "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: A simultaneous equations approach", Accounting Organizations and Society, Volume 29, Pages 447-471, 2004.
- "Empirical Evidence on Recent Trends in Pro Forma Reporting", Accounting Horizons, Volume 18, Pages 27-43, 2004.
- "Assessing the Relative Informativeness and Permanence of Pro Forma Earnings and GAAP Operating Earnings", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Volume 36, Pages 285-319, 2003.
- "Do We Really Know What We Think We Know? A Case Study of Seminal Research and its Subsequent Overgeneralization", Accounting Organizations and Society, Volume 25, Pages 103-129, 2000.
Academic - Post-Secondary
- Professor, Brigham Young University 2009
- Visiting Professor, University of Michigan 2013 - 2014
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah 2012 - 2012
- Associate Professor, Brigham Young University 2004 - 2009
- Assistant Professor, Brigham Young University 2000 - 2004
- Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve University 1995 - 2000
- Instructor, University of Georgia 1991 - 1995
- Instructor, Utah Valley Community College 1990 - 1991
- Instructor, Brigham Young University 1990 - 1990
- Outstanding Research Award , Marriott School of Management , 2006
- Warnick Fellowship , Deloitte & Touche , 2005
- BYU Faculty Award for Outstanding Research , Ernst & Young , 2004
- Top Prof Award , Mortar Board, Case Western Reserve University , 1999
- Undergraduate Teaching Award , Weatherhead School of Management , 1999
- Students Choice Award for Teaching Excellence , University of Georgia ASA , 1994
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award , University of Georgia , 1993
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award , J.M. Tull School of Accounting , 1993