This scholarship is designed for students who are finishing their sophomore year and do not have prior military service. As part of the criteria for eligibility, applicants will attend the five-week Leaders Training Course at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. Students who have completed two years of ROTC do not need to attend the course.
As a winner of the scholarship you’re required to take an ROTC class. Winners will enlist in the Army National Guard and join the Simultaneous Membership Program, which allows them to be in ROTC and participate in the Guard at the same time. Upon graduation, the winner has an obligation to accept a commission, serve on active duty for three to six months to complete the Officer Basic Course. They would then continue with a civilian occupation or advanced schooling on a full-time basis while continuing to serve in either the National Guard or Army Reserve.
- 100 percent tuition or housing and living allowance
- $600 annual book allowance
- ROTC monthly stipend $350-$500 a month
- Drill pay of $200 or more a month
- Be enrolled in college and have completed at least sixty credits.
- Participate in leadership, extracurricular and athletic activities (a part time job earns you substitute credit).
- Be under thirty-three by 30 June of the year you expect to graduate (qualifying veterans may be granted an age extension of up to four years).
- Agree to accept a commission in the U.S. Army.
- Attend the five-week leaders training course or have completed the first and second year of Military Science.
When to Apply
Applications are available December through February. Your application must be completed and received by headquarters of Cadet Command by 15 March. Winners are notified during the month of June.
How to Receive an Application
To receive your Reserve Forces Duty scholarship application contact The BYU Recruiting Office at (801) 422-7725.
Department of Military Science
Brigham Young University
320 Wells ROTC Bld.
Provo, UT 84602