The Ballard Center’s Impact Investing program helps students learn skills and gain experience in investing in sustainable social venture that are creating social impact.
What is Impact Investing?
Impact investing is the active placement of capital in businesses and funds that generate social benefit while simultaneously generating financial returns. Impact investing blends best practices from traditional asset management, private equity and venture capital investing, business development, international and domestic economic development, and environmental innovation to support enterprises that maximize financial returns and social good.
Impact Investing Program
The Impact Investing program at the Ballard Center focuses on experiential learning with leading social investment firms, impact investors, social entrepreneurs, innovative non-profit organizations, and foundations to identify, assist, and fund social enterprises with significant potential.
Bridge the gap between business and social causes by signing up for the Ballard Center’s impact investing class and gain the following benefits:
- Education: The impact investing class provides students with a working knowledge and understanding of the impact investing ecosystem—how to define impact, how to create an investment thesis, how to analyze a social business, and how to make effective investment decisions.
- Experience: Students will hear from current social ventures from a variety of backgrounds and industries and will have the opportunity to gain skills related to impact investing. Students will gain experience in due diligence, research, and business analysis.
- Career Development: Through the extensive training and experience the Ballard Center provides, students will develop skills necessary to pursue a wide variety of careers, including venture capital, private equity, impact investing, and social entrepreneurship. The program will help students gain unparalleled opportunities to start their careers in exciting industries and regions throughout the world.
The University Impact internship gives students the unique opportunity to be a part of the world’s newest student-run impact investment firm. University Impact was founded in partnership with the Ballard Center; social entrepreneur, business leader, and societal innovator Kurt Brown; and global impact investor Geoff Woolley. This independently run venture fund leverages the skills of undergraduate and graduate students throughout the world.
At University Impact, student associates play critical roles in the due diligence and investment process. Paid Internships start at the beginning of BYU’s semesters. By signing up for the Ballard Center newsletter, you will be informed of University Impact information sessions on BYU campus and application deadlines.
For more information on impact investing, take a look at the following resources:
- Investing for Social and Environmental Impact, Monitor Institute
- A Short Guide to Impact Investing, Case Foundation
- More than Money: Impact Investing for Development, Center for Global Development
- What You Need to Know About Impact Investing, Global Impact Investing Network
For more information, please visit the Ballard Center or email the BYU Impact Investing program.