The Ballard Innovation Team is an internal consulting group that applies design thinking to enhance existing Ballard programs and implement new initiatives within the Ballard Center.
Why Ballard Innovation Team?
By joining the Innovation Team, you will join a group of innovative thinkers who enjoy challenges that require brainstorming and teamwork. Following are some other reasons to join:
- Become an associate in an innovative consulting group that is making a real impact on campus.
- Network and work with directors of the Ballard Center experienced in the field of social innovation.
- Learn and engage in the steps of design thinking by applying it innovatively to your project.
- Solve problems at every stage of your project and take full ownership over the process to achieve innovative solutions.
- Learn how to become a lifelong social innovator on- and off-campus.
Innovation Team associates are entrepreneurial, resourceful, and highly motivated to improve the social innovation ecosystem at BYU. They come from diverse majors with varying skill sets and aspirations and are all high-performing leaders.
Associates will meet with their team and their stakeholder weekly to work on their project. Associates will apply the phases of Human Centered Design: empathy, define, ideate, prototype, and test. The Innovation Team is a 1.5 credit hour class. Associates are expected to spend a minimum of 4.5 hours per week working on their project (including class and all meetings).
The following are examples of past projects:
- Establishing the Ballard Scholar program as an official pathway for BYU students to gain a comprehensive experience with social innovation.
- Researching and developing best practices for the creation of the Ballard Center advisement program, which has since introduced hundreds of students to social innovation.
- Creating a design thinking course for student leaders to introduce other clubs and organizations across campus to innovation principles.
- Developing Changemaker Maps and creating the Changemaker Club.
“[Ballard Innovation Team] is such a great way to bring creative and resilient minds together to help students become more engaged with social innovation. Our team was able to take an idea for an innovation leadership course and drive it through the phases of brainstorming, iteration, and implementation. It was awesome to be a part of that and to connect with my team members, whom I now consider great friends!”
– Ailyn Gamboa,
“I learned so much about social innovation and design thinking, and I was given the exposure to implement those things on my own. I was part of an awesome team where we supported each other and sought to have a positive collective experience. We worked hard to make sure we learned and enjoyed as much as we delivered. I am confident and proud of the work that I did with my team and I use those experiences when I discuss my resume with other professionals.”
“The time I spent on the [Ballard Innovation Team] was really valuable to me! I had learned about design thinking at the Ballard Center and I was hooked but I wanted a way to practice it. The Innovation Team was the perfect place for that! I was given a problem (that I found interesting) and dove in deep with interviews, focus groups, and surveys to really fully understand it in order to solve it— all the while working with a team of people that I loved working with! It’s a skill set that I will carry with me to every future opportunity and I had a blast working with the best humans at BYU!”
Send your resume to email@example.com. Applicants will be contacted to set up a time for a thirty-minute, face-to-face interview. Interviews are conducted during the last two weeks of every semester.
Be prepared to talk about why you are interested in social innovation, why you want to join the Innovation Team, and the value you can add to the organization.