Qualified students can apply for grants to receive funding for various opportunities in the field of social innovation.
Ballard Center Grant Process
All grant applications are scored based on how the student and internship align with the Ballard Center’s mission.
An ideal applicant with a high score is:
- Involved with the Ballard Center in one or more of the following ways:
- Passionate about social innovation and wants to work for or start a social venture and/or find new ways to tackle old problems
- A leader and has demonstrated effective leadership and held positions of leadership and responsibility
An internship with a high score meets one or more of the following criteria:
- The internship organization is vetted (approved/funded) by a leading organization such as Ashoka, Skoll Foundation, Mulago Foundation, Echoing Green, or the Peery Foundation
- The organization has achieved “Best Venture” status in the Ballard Center’s Social Venture Academy
- The organization focuses on social impact, sustainability, innovation, scalability, and self-reliance
Please note that many applications fall somewhere between and are weighted according to our criteria and all other applications. If you don’t fall into the “very likely” category, make a case for yourself or your organization in the grant application (“I may not fit this criteria, but . . .”).
Grant amounts vary based on need, project details, and other criteria. Grants are intended to provide reimbursement for travel expenses such as airfare and daily living costs.
If traveling outside of the United States, the country must be on the BYU Approved Travel List.
Other Grant and Funding Resources
Although a BYU education is highly subsidized, some students need additional funding to take part in these life–changing internships. If you are unable to secure funding through the Ballard Center, be sure to check out these other resources:
Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis to accommodate your schedule and internship timelines.
Apply as soon as possible! If you are applying for a grant that will support you going to an international location, it will take a minimum of two weeks to process. Unfortunately we cannot provide grants to those going international without a two-week notice. Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Send us an email to let us know that you applied.Apply for Grants
You can also contact us with any questions you may have prior to applying. We’d love to hear from you.