Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Ryan Elder is an Associate Professor of Marketing at the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University. Dr. Elder researches how sensory experiences affect consumers’ cognitions and behaviors, as well as how visual cues affect persuasion. He primarily explores these areas within the context of advertising, product packaging, atmospherics, and product design. His research has been published in the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing Research, and the Journal of Consumer Psychology. Popular accounts of his work have appeared on Good Morning America, The Today Show, CBS This Morning, BBC World News, TIME Magazine, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and others.
- PhD, Marketing, University of Michigan, 2011
- B. S., Marketing, University of Utah, 2004
- "So Close I Can Almost Sense It: The Interplay Between Sensory Imagery and Psychological Distance", Journal of Consumer Research, 2017.
- "The Crunch Effect: Food Sound Salience as a Consumption Monitoring Cue", Food Quality and Preference, 2016.
- "A Sign of Things to Come: Behavioral Change through Dynamic Iconography", Journal of Consumer Research, 2015.
- "This Logo Moves Me: Dynamic Imagery from Static Images", Journal of Marketing Research, 2014.
- "Satiation from Sensory Simulation: Evaluating Foods Decreases Enjoyment of Similar Foods", Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2014.
- "The ‘Visual Depiction Effect’ in Advertising: Facilitating Embodied Mental Simulation Through Product Orientation", Journal of Consumer Research, 2012.
- "Feminine to Smell but Masculine to Touch?: Multisensory Congruence and its Effect on the Aesthetic Experience", Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2010.
- "The Effects of Advertising Copy on Sensory Thoughts and Perceived Taste", Journal of Consumer Research, 2010.
- MEG Grant , Brigham Young University , 2016
- AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow , American Marketing Association
- Berkeley Behavioral Camp Fellow , University of California, Berkeley
- Gerald and Lillian Dykstra Fellowship for Teaching Excellence , University of Michigan
- Haring Symposium Fellow , Indiana University
- Leo Burnett Scholarship , University of Michigan
- Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant , University of Michigan
- Thomas William Leabo Memorial Award for Academics and Teaching , University of Michigan