Accountancy, School of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Troy Lewis is the Past Chair of the Tax Executive Committee of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) in Washington, DC. In this role, he has testified six times before the United States Senate Finance Committee and the House Committee on Small Business.
Mr. Lewis has been active with the AICPA and the Utah Association of CPAs, for over two decades serving in key leadership positions including the President of the UACPA.
Mr. Lewis currently teaches accounting and tax at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He is in practice as a Manager/Member at Lewis & Associates, CPAs, LLC in Draper, Utah. He also worked in public accounting at Arthur Andersen and for a community bank in St. George, Utah. He obtained his Masters of Accountancy and Bachelors of Science in Accountancy from Brigham Young University. He is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).
- BS-Accounting, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 1995
- Masters of Accountancy, Tax, Brigham Young University, 1995
- AICPA 1995
- UACPA 1995
- "IRS pursuing self-employment taxes from LLC members", Journal of Accountancy, Edition May 2018, Issue May 2018, Pages 54-58, AICPA, Durham, North Carolina, 2018.
- "Ensuring a Modern-Functioning IRS for the 21st Century", The Journal Entry, Edition October 2017, Issue October 2017, Pages 17-20, Utah Association of CPAs, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2017.
- "A Case Integrating Financial and Tax Accounting Using the Balance Sheet Approach to Account for Income Taxes", Issues in Accounting Education, Edition 4, Volume 32, Issue 4, Pages 41-49, American Accounting Association, 2017.
- "Crucial Organizer Tips for Avoiding Trouble", Practical Tax Strategies/Taxation for Accountants, Edition 05, Volume 99, Issue 05, WG&L, Carrollton, Texas, 2017.
- "Tax principles for the digital age", Journal of Accountancy, Edition May 2017, Issue May 2017, Pages 62-66, AICPA, Durham, North Carolina, 2017.
- "Will "A Better Way" for a Confident America Lead to Tax Reform?", The Tax Adviser, Edition October 2016, Issue October 2016, Pages 748-751, American Institute of CPAs, Durham, North Carolina, 2016.
- "Congress and the Extenders: Doing the Same Thing Over and Over and Expecting Different Results", The Tax Adviser, Edition January 2015, Issue January 2015, Pages 48-50, American Institute of CPAs, Durham, North Carolina, 2015.
- "What Do the Cash Method of Accounting and Sausages Have in Common?", The Tax Adviser, Volume October 2014, Pages 750-752, American Institute of CPAs, Durham, North Carolina, 2014.
- "S corporation basis rules: Reform is sorely needed", Corporate Taxation Insider, Volume August 2013, American Institute of CPAs, Durham, North Carolina, 2013.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Adjunct Faculty, Brigham Young University-Provo 2012 - 2016
- Manager, Lewis & Associates, CPAs, LLC 2002
- Chief Enterprise Risk Management Officer/Chief Financial Officer, Heritage Bank 2002 - 2015
- Tax Manager, Arthur Andersen, LLP 1995 - 2002
- Honorable Mention for the Outstanding Instructional Contribution in Accounting , AAA-Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Section , 2018
- Marriott School Ethics Teaching Award , BYU Marriott School , 2018
- UACPA Distinguished Service Award , UACPA , 2007
Certificates and Licenses
- Chartered Global Management Accountant AICPA 2012
- Certified Public Accountant State of Utah 1995
- Utah Tax Review Commission Committee/Council Member April, 2015
- ATA-External Relations Committee/Council Member September, 2017 - August, 2018
- ATA-Tax Educators Conference Committee/Council Member September, 2017 - August, 2018
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Committee/Council Member February, 2018 - May, 2018
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Conference-Related Role November, 2010 - September, 2017
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Other October, 2014 - October, 2016
- Financial Accounting Standards Board Committee/Council Member January, 2010 - December, 2012
- American Bankers Association Other August, 2007 - August, 2010
- Utah Association of CPAs Officer March, 2003 - March, 2004