Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Dr. Sampson has dedicated his career to advancing the field of service design, management, and innovation. As an academic professional, his goal is to enable other academicians and professionals to teach and deliver exceptional service experiences and methodologies. Dr. Sampson is the Thorsell Professor of Business Management at Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah, U.S.) where he teaches CRM and Service Analysis and Design in BYU’s top-tier MBA and undergraduate business programs. He has been recognized as a world leader in the field of service operations management and design, and has given professional seminars on service design and innovation in Europe, Asia, and the United States. He is the author of two major books including Essentials of Service Design and Innovation and Understanding Service Businesses. His award-winning research focuses on techniques for designing high-performance service businesses, and he has been recognized as the third most prolific publisher of top-tier articles on Service Operations Management worldwide. Dr. Sampson received his MBA and PhD degrees from the University of Virginia and is the proud father of six wonderful children.
- "Visualizing and Improving Service Processes with PCN Analysis", Handbook of Service Science, Volume 2, Pages 19, Springer, New York, Paul P. Maglio, Cheryl A. Kieliszewski, James C. Spohrer, Kelly Lyons, Yuriko Sawatani, and Lia Patricio.
- "Process Coordination Within a Health Care Service Supply Network", Journal of Business Logistics, Edition 4, Volume 36, Issue 4, Pages 355-373, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, Thomas Goldsby and Walter Zinn, 2015.
- "Modes of Customer Co-production for International Service Offerings", Journal of Service Management, Edition 4, Volume 26, Issue 4, Pages 625-647, Emerald, Nelson Oly Ndubisi and Rajan Nataraajan, 2015.
- "Value Paradoxes and the Time Value of Value", Service Science, Edition 3, Volume 7, Issue 3, INFORMS, Catonsville, Maryland, Ralph D. Badinelli, Paul Maglio, 2015.
- "Customer Roles in Service Supply Chains and Opportunities for Innovation", Journal of Supply Chain Management, Edition 4, Volume 48, Issue 4, Pages 30-50, Institute for Supply Management, Craig Carter, 2012.
- "Service Supply Chains: Introducing the Special Topic Forum", Journal of Supply Chain Management, Edition 4, Volume 48, Issue 4, Pages 3-7, Institute for Supply Management, Craig Carter, 2012.
- "Use and Misuse of Co- in Service Management", Proceedings of the DSI Annual Meeting, Volume 2012, Pages 91401-91412, Decision Sciences Institute, Atlanta, GA, Hale Kaynak, 2012.
- "Visualizing Service Operations", Journal of Service Research, Edition 2, Volume 15, Issue 2, Pages 182-198, Katherine Lemon, 2012.
- "The Seven Customer Roles in Service Supply Chains", Proceedings of the EurOMA Annual Meeting, Volume 24, European Operations Management Association, Brussels, 2011.
- "Service-Dominant Logic 2.0: A Balanced Perspective", Proceedings of the Naples Forum on Service, Volume 2011, University of Naples, Capri, 2011.
- "What Are Services? – An Empirical Investigation", Proceedings of the 12th QUIS Annual Meeting, Volume 12, Pages 897-906, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, Bo van der Rhee, Liana Victorino, 2011.
- "A Unified Services Theory", Introduction to Service Engineering, Volume 1, Pages 40, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, Gavriel Salvendy and Waldemar Karwowski, 2010.
- "The Unified Service Theory: A paradigm for Service Science", Handbook of Service Science, Volume 1, Pages 107-131, Springer, New York, P. P. Maglio, C. Kieliszewski, and J. C. Spohrer, 2010.
- "Why We Need a Service Logic: A Comparative Review", The Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, Edition 3, Volume 15, Issue 3, Pages 16, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 2010.
- "The Impact of Customer Contact on Environmental Initiatives for Services Firms", International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Volume 20, Pages 187-203, 2000.
- Outstanding Faculty Award , BYU Marriott School of Management , 2015
- Service Science Best Article Award , INFORMS , 2015
- Best Paper Honorable Mention , International Research Symposium on Service Excellent , 2011
- International Visiting Fellow - UK , UK Government, Cambridge Institute for Management , 2011
- Most Influential Service Operations Paper Award , Production and Operations Management Society , 2009
- Marriott School Research Award , BYU , 2008
- Best Research Paper Award , POMS College of Service Operations , 2007
- IBM Best Paper Award , Production and Operations Management Society CSO and IBM , 2006
- First Place - Case Competition , Institute for Operations Research and Management Science , 2005
- 2004 IBM Faculty Award , IBM , 2004
- Faculty Award for Academic Excellence, University of Virginia , 2004
- 2003 Best Applied Research Paper Award , Decision Sciences Institute , 2003
- Best Applied Research Paper Award , Decision Sciences Institute , 2002
- Outstanding Researcher Award , Business Management Department , 2000
- Wachovia Award for Research , University of Virginia , 1996
- Director — Direct recruiting, advancement, strategic planning, scheduling, and promotion of GSCM Area. 2014 - 2017
- Class Scheduling Committee Committee/Council Chair June, 2002 - November, 2016
- Service Science Editorial Review Board Member 2014
- Journal of Supply Chain Management Editor, Associate Editor March, 2011
- Teaching Service Design and Innovation - CEIBS - QUIS - 2015
- Effectively covering Service Operations in a traditional OM Course - Production and Operations Management Society - POMS Annual Meeting 2013 - 2012
- Visualizing Service Systems with PCN Analysis - Tokyo Institute of Technology - Frontier of Service Systems Science - 2012
- Customer Contact for the 21st Century – It’s Virtual Baby! - Decision Sciences Institute - DSI Annual Meeting - 2010
- Opportunities for building global services in geographically remote regions - South Australia Government - Global Business Forum - 2010
- Reestablishing Operations’ Influence in Service Research - EurOMA - EurOMA Annual Meeting - 2010
- Service Design and Innovation: Why it is so difficult and how we can make it work! - ANZAM/MOMS - Professional Seminar - 2010
- Service Supply Chain documentation and analysis - EurOMA - EurOMA's 3rd International Service Operations Management Forum - 2010
- SOM: Who are you and what are you doing here? - Cambridge IfM (Institute for Manufacturing) - Grand Challenge of Service - 2010
- Virtual Customer Contact: eBay and Facebook and YouTube, oh my! - Bentley University - Art & Science of Service - 2010
- Visualizing Service Operations Theory - University of Melbourne Business School - Univ of Melbourne Department seminar - 2010
- Why servitization sucks profits, and what you can do about it - Cambridge IfM - 15th Annual International Manufacturing Symposium - 2010