Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
John W. Gardner is an Associate Professor of supply chain and operations management in the Department of Marketing & Global Supply Chain Management at Brigham Young University. Professor Gardner completed doctoral studies in Management Science at the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University. John holds an MBA from the Marriott School of Management and a Master of Arts in International and Area Studies from BYU. He also holds a Bachelor of Music for violin performance and pedagogy from the BYU School of Music.
Gardner’s professional industry experience includes five years of work at Honeywell International where he served in both the process solutions and aerospace industries. Positions included lead information technology business systems analyst, pricing and business analyst for marketing and product management, and senior financial analyst for global financial planning and analysis. John also worked as a manager of branch operations and customer service at Zions Bancorp.
Professor Gardner teaches quality management in the Marriott School for both graduates and undergraduates, and global supply chain and operations in the undergraduate program. Areas of expertise include Lean production, Six Sigma, and designing for quality.
Gardner’s research passions focus on operational improvement through learning, innovation, and networks. His research includes the application of operations management principles such as process management and information systems to improve reliability in healthcare quality and patient satisfaction and outcomes in hospitals across various contexts. The results, which examine how practices and information technologies are utilized in various contexts, have been presented at numerous conferences and are published in the Journal of Operations Management, Organization Science, Journal of Business Logistics, and Quality Management Journal. Current research examines production improvement, approaches to accountability, and blockchain technology.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Business Administration, The Ohio State University, 2012
- Master of Arts, International and Area Studies, Brigham Young University, 2003
- Master of Business Administration, , Brigham Young University, 2003
- Bachelor of Music, , Brigham Young University, 1999
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS) 2016
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) 2014
- Academy of Management (AOM) 2010
- Production and Operations Management (POMS) 2010
- Decision Sciences Institute (DSI) 2009
- "When do Workarounds Help or Hurt Patient Outcomes? The Moderating Role of Operational", Journal of Operations Management.
- "Teaching Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) in a Supply Chain Context: A Paper Football In-Class Activity", Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, Edition 1, Volume 17, Issue 1, Pages 6-32, Decision Sciences, 2019.
- "Managing Quality Crossroads in Healthcare: An Integrative Supply Chain Perspective", Quality Management Journal, Edition 1, Volume 25, Issue 1, Pages 2-17, ASQ, 2018.
- "Achieving Time-Sensitive Organizational Performance through Mindful Use of Technologies and Routines", Organization Science, Edition 6, Volume 28, Issue 6, Pages 1061 - 1079, INFORMS, 2017.
- "Operational and Strategic Information Processing: Complementing Healthcare IT Infrastructure", Journal of Operations Management, Volume 33-34, Pages 123-139, Elsevier, 2015.
- "Process Coordination Within a Health Care Service Supply Network", Journal of Business Logistics, Edition 4, Volume 36, Issue 4, Pages 355-373, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, Thomas Goldsby and Walter Zinn, 2015.
- "Service Network Design with PCN Analysis: A healthcare case study", Proceedings of the DSI National Meeting, Volume 2014, Decision Sciences Institute, Georgia, 2014.
- "Process Quality Improvement: An Examination of General vs. Outcome-Specific Climate and Practices in Hospitals", Journal of Operations Management, Edition 4, Volume 30, Issue 4, Pages 325-339, Elsevier, 2012.
- "Information Systems, Error Analysis, and Healthcare Performance Outcomes", Academy of Management National Conference Proceedings, 2011.
- David E. and Verla A. Sorensen Fellowship , 2017
- 2011 George and Marion Plossl Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship 2nd Runner Up
- 2013 Elwood S. Buffa Dissertation Competition Finalist
Certificates and Licenses
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt Honeywell International 2006
- Marriott School Healthcare Industry Scholar Learn-Do-Become Initiative Committee/Council Member 2015
- Quality Management Journal Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer 2016
- Decision Sciences Journal Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer 2014
- Journal of Business Logistics Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer 2014
- Production and Operations Management Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer 2014
- Journal of Operations Management Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer 2012