Public Management, Romney Institute of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Brad Owens (PhD, University of Washington) is an Associate Professor of Business Ethics in the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University. His research has been published in the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Journal of Business Ethics, and Public Administration Review. Under the general umbrella of Positive Organizational Scholarship, his research focuses on the impact of leader humility on individuals and teams, ethical leadership, and relational energy. Brad's teaching interests include business ethics, organizational behavior, and research methodology.
- Post-Doc, Center for Positive Organizational Scholarship, University of Michigan, 2011
- PhD, Organizational Behavior, University of Washington, 2009
- MOB, Organizational Behavior, University of Washington, 2007
- MPA, Public Administration, Brigham Young University, 2004
- B.S., Human Development, Brigham Young University, 2002
- Academy of Management 2004
- "Initiating and Utilizing Shared Leadership in Teams: The Role of Leader Humility, Team Proactive Personality, and Team Performance Capability", Journal of Applied Psychology, Volume forthcoming.
- "How Does Leader Humility Influence Team Performance? Exploring the Mechanisms of Contagion and Collective Promotion Focus", Academy of Management Journal, 2015.
- "Leader Relational Energy: Implications for Job Engagement and Job Performance.", Journal of Applied Psychology, 2015.
- "Leader Narcissism and Follower Outcomes: The Counterbalancing Effect of Leader Humility", Journal of Applied Psychology, 2015.
- "Humility in Organizations: Implications for Performance, Teams, and Leadership, Organization Science", 2013.
- "Moral Stress: Considering the Nature and Effects of Managerial Moral Uncertainty, Journal of Business Ethics", 2012.
- "Modeling How to Grow: An Inductive Examination of Humble Leader Behaviors, Contingencies, and Outcomes, Academy of Management Journal", 2012.
- "Humility in Organizations", The Handbook of Positive Organizational Scholarship, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- "An Examination of Whether and How Race and Gender Biases Influence Customer Satisfaction Ratings, Academy of Management", 2010.
- "The Effect of Social Support on Work-Family Enhancement and Work-Family Conflict in the Public Sector", Public Administration Review, 2007.
- Templeton Foundation Grant to Study the Development of Leader Humility ($250K award) , 2016
- Center for Positive Organizations Research Affiliate , Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan , 2015
- Stuart Grow Fellowship , Marriott School of Management , 2015
- Wheatley Scholar Fellowship , Wheatley Institution, Brigham Young University , 2015
- Templeton Foundation Grant to Study Intellectual Humility, 2 years, ($223,000 award) , 2013
- All University Milton Plesur Excellence in Teaching Award , State University of New York at Buffalo , 2011
- Saroj Parasuraman Outstanding Publication Award , Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, Academy of Management , 2011
- Academy of Management Journal Best Paper of the Year , Academy of Management , 2010
- Research Committee Committee/Council Chair September, 2016