Finance, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Karl Diether is the David and Verla Sorensen Professor of Finance at Brigham Young University's Marriott School of Management, and he is an Associate Editor of Management Science. Prior to joining the Marriott School, he was an Associate Professor of Finance at Dartmouth College, in the Tuck School of Business from 2009 to 2013, and from 2003 to 2009 he was an Assistant Professor of Finance at The Ohio State University, in the Fisher College of Business.
Professor Diether's research has been published in the top Finance journals and has garnered many awards. He has won both the Smith Breeden Distinguished Paper Prize and Fama-DFA Distinguished Paper Prize. His work is also well cited. One of his papers has been cited over 1,000 times according to Google Scholar.
Professor Diether received his PhD in finance from the University of Chicago in 2004. He received in BA in economics from Brigham Young University in 1998.
- Ph.D., Finance, University of Chicago, 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Brigham Young University, 1998
- "Legislating Stock Prices", Journal of Financial Economics, Edition 3, Volume 110, Issue 3, Pages 574–595, 2013.
- "Misvaluing Innovation", Review of Financial Studies, Edition 3, Volume 26, Issue 3, Pages 635-666, 2013.
- "It’s SHO Time! Short-sale Price Tests and Market Quality", Journal of Finance, Edition 1, Volume 64, Issue 1, Pages 37-73, 2009.
- "Short-Sale Strategies and Return Predictability", Review of Financial Studies, Edition 1, Volume 64, Issue 1, Pages 1343-1368, 2009.
- "Shorting Demand and Predictability of Returns", Journal of Investment Management, Edition 1, Volume 7, Issue 1, Pages 36-52, 2009.
- "Supply and Demand Shifts in the Shorting Market", Journal of Finance, Volume 62, Pages 2061-2096, 2007.
- "Differences of Opinion and the Cross Section of Stock Returns", Journal of Finance, Volume 57, 2002.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Associate Professor, Brigham Young Yniversity 2013
- Associate Professor, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College 2009 - 2013
- Assistant Professor, Ohio State Univeristy 2004 - 2009
- Instructor, Ohio State University 2003 - 2004
- Runner-Up Winner of Whitebox Prize for Outstanding Contribution (Published the Year Prior) to the Art and Science of Investing, 2014. , 2014
- Winner of Fama-DFA Prize for the Best Paper Published in the Journal of Financial Economics in Asset Pricing (Distinguished Paper), 2013. , 2014
- Winner of Columbia Millstein Center and Investor Responsibility Research Center Grant, 2014. , 2013
- Undergraduate Program Teaching Award , Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University , 2008
- Winner of Smith Breeden Prize for the Best Paper Published in the Journal of Finance in Asset Pricing (Distinguished Paper), 2007. , 2007
- Winner of New York Stock Exchange Best Paper Award (Winter Research Conference on the Microstructure of International Financial Markets), 2006 , 2006
- Management Science Editor, Associate Editor May, 2016
- Management Science Editor, Associate Editor July, 2014 - May, 2016