To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Ben W. Lewis is an Assistant Professor of Strategy in the Department of Management at the Brigham Young University Marriott School of Business. He currently teaches the Strategy and Economics course to undergraduates.
Ben’s research explores how firms strategically manage their reputation, particularly within the domains of corporate social and environmental responsibility. Recently, he has focused his efforts on understanding how corporations respond to ratings and rankings. His work has been published in leading management journals including Administrative Science Quarterly and the Strategic Management Journal. In 2017, he received the William H. Newman Award, a prestigious recognition from the Academy of Management for solo-authored work based on a dissertation.
Ben received his PhD in Management from the Johnson College of Business at Cornell University in 2013, and a MAcc and BS in Accounting and Economics from Brigham Young University in 2008. Prior to pursuing his doctoral studies, he was involved in international development work in Kenya and Mozambique. Many of his research interests have been shaped by these experiences and drive his efforts to understand how business can be used as a force for good in society.
- PhD, Management, Cornell University, 2013
- BS, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2008
- BS, Economics, Brigham Young University, 2008
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2008
- "The risk of being banked: Investor response to marginal inclusion on the 100 Best Corporate Citizens list", Strategic Management Journal, Volume Forthcoming, 2019
- "Pragmatism and pluralism: A moral foundation for stakeholder theory in the 21st Century", Cambridge Handbook of Stakeholder Theory, Cambridge University Press, 2019
- "The price of praise in the market for virtue: A paradox of rating and recognizing responsibility", BYU Working Paper, BYU Scholars Archive, 2018
- "Strategic silence: Withholding certification status as a hypocrisy avoidance tactic", Administrative Science Quarterly, Edition 1, Volume 63, Pages 130-169, 2018
- "Entrepreneurs and the strategic communication of socially responsible activities", Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility, Nanjing University Press, Joel Glassman, Masato Kimura, Ki Hyoung Sohn, Shuming Zhao, 2018
- "A behavioral view on firm response to ratings: How positive recognition leads to reductions in charitable contributions", Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 2014
- "Difference in degrees: CEO characteristics and firm environmental disclosure", Edition 5, Volume 35, Strategic Management Journal, 2014
- "The effect of technology type on the adoption and effectiveness of global environmental standards", Enhancing Global Competitiveness through Sustainable Environmental Stewardship, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Subhash C. Jain and Ben L. Kedia, 2011
- "Bottom billion", ESR Review, Provo, UT, 2008
- Best Paper Award Nominee, Academy of Management, 2018
- Best Published Article Award in 2018, International Association for Business & Society, 2018
- William H. Newman Award for Best Paper Based on a Dissertation, Academy of Management, 2017
- Outstanding Paper Award, Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability, 2016
Certificates and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) — Colorado — 2010