Management, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Ben W. Lewis is an Assistant Professor in the department of Organizational Leadership and Strategy at Brigham Young University. His research explores how firms strategically respond to institutional pressures, particularly within the domains of corporate social and environmental responsibility. His most recent publication, published in the Strategic Management Journal, examines how executive characteristics influence the voluntary disclosure of environmental performance. His dissertation research examines how firms respond to social responsibility ratings. Prior to pursuing his doctoral studies, Ben was involved in international development work in Kenya and Mozambique. Many of his research interests have been shaped by these experiences and drive his efforts to understand how business can be used as a force for good in society.
- PhD, Management, Cornell University, 2013
- BS, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2008
- BS, Economics, Brigham Young University, 2008
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2008
- "Pragmatism and Pluralism: A moral foundation for stakeholder theory in the 21st Century", Cambridge Handbook to Stakeholder Theory, Cambridge University Press.
- "Strategic silence: Withholding certification status as a hypocrisy avoidance tactic", Administrative Science Quarterly, 2017.
- "Difference in degrees: CEO characteristics and firm environmental disclosure", Edition 5, Volume 35, Issue 5, Pages 712–722, Strategic Management Journal, 2014.
- "The effect of technology type on the adoption and effectiveness of global environmental standards", Enhancing Global Competitiveness through Sustainable Environmental Stewardship, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Subhash C. Jain and Ben L. Kedia, 2011.
- "Bottom billion", ESR Review, Provo, UT, 2008.
- William H. Newman Award for Best Paper Based on a Dissertation , Academy of Management , 2017
- Outstanding Paper Award , Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability , 2016
Certificates and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Colorado 2010
- The paradox of recognizing responsibility: Social ratings, philanthropy, and the market for virtue - Academy of Management - AOM Annual Conference - 2017
- When do third-party rankings and ratings influence subsequent corporate social & environmental performance? - International Association for Business & Society - IABS 2017 Annual Conference - 2017
- Strategic silence: The non-disclosure of certification status as a hypocrisy avoidance tactic - Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability - ARCS Annual Conference - 2016
- The environmental consequences of voluntary disclosure. - Strategic Management Society - SMS Annual Conference - 2016
- The paradox of recognizing responsibility: Why positive social ratings can lead to reductions in corporate social performance - International Association for Business and Society - IABS Annual Conference - 2016
- Substantive implementation with symbolic silence: The strategic publication of certification status - University of Colorado - Sustainability, Ethics, and Entrepreneurship Conference - 2015
- Do organizations light a candle and hide it under a bushel? The strategic publication of certification status - Strategic Management Society - SMS Annual Conference - 2014