Melissa Lewis Western
Associate Professor, Robert J. Smith Fellow,Download Vita
Accountancy, School of
Accountancy, School of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
- Ph.D, Accounting, Indiana University, 2007
- Masters of Business, Accounting, Indiana University, 2004
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting, California State University, Fresno, 2001
- "How Does Intentional Earnings Smoothing Vary with Managerial Ability?", Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, Sage.
- "Rank and file equity compensation and earnings management", .
- "The innovation consequences of financial regulation for young life-cycle firms", .
- "The value-add of an audit in a post-SOX world", .
- "When Does Pre-IPO Financial Reporting Trigger Post-IPO Legal Consequences?", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 33, Issue 1, Pages 378-411, 2016.
- "Historical cost measurement and the use of DuPont analysis by market participants", Review of Accounting Studies, Volume 20, Pages 1210-1245, 2015.
- "Managerial Ability and Earnings Quality", The Accounting Review, Edition 2, Volume 88, Issue 2, Pages 463–498, 2013.
- "Do Voluntary Disclosures that Disavow the Reliability of Mandated Fair Value Information Reflect Legitimate Concerns about Reliability?", Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2011.
- "Diversification to Mitigate Expropriation in the Tobacco Industry", Journal of Financial Economics, 2008.
- "The Role of Tax Regulation and Compensation Contracts in the Decision to Voluntarily Expense Employee Stock Options", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Pages 101-111, 2008.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Associate Professor, Brigham Young University 2016
- Associate Professor, University of Utah 2015 - 2016
- Assistant Professor, University of Utah 2007 - 2015
- Robert Smith Faculty Fellowship, Marriott School, 2016
- David Eccles Emerging Scholar, David Eccles Emerging School of Business, 2009
- Institute for Fraud Prevention Grant Recipient for Rank-and-File Equity Compensation and Earnings Management, Institute for Fraud Prevention
- SOA Diversity and Inclusion Committee Committee/Council Member May, 2018
- Jr. Core Financial Coordinator Committee/Council Chair August, 2016 - 2020
- Ph.D. Prep Committee Committee/Council Member July, 2016 - 2020
- Admissions Committee Committee/Council Member 2016 - 2020
- Keynote Speaker Fall WSOA Guest Speaker October, 2018 - October, 2018
- Faculty Recruiting Committee Committee/Council Member August, 2018 - October, 2018
- Contemporary Accounting Research Editorial Review Board Member May, 2017 - April, 2020