Abigail Allen(On Leave)
Accountancy, School of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Professor Allen is an assistant professor of accounting in the Marriott School of Management at BYU. She currently teaches intermediate financial accounting in the Accounting Junior Core. Prior to joining BYU, Professor Allen spent three years on faculty at Harvard Business School where she taught Financial Reporting and Control in the required MBA first year curriculum.
Professor Allen’s research focuses on the political economy and economic consequences of the accounting standard setting process in both the private and governmental sectors. Specifically, her research investigates the impacts of regulator backgrounds, constituent preferences, and lobbying incentives in the FASB, GASB and SEC due processes. In addition, her work explores managerial and investor response to accounting change. Her other research interests include fair value accounting, revenue recognition, voluntary disclosure, and sustainability reporting. Professor Allen’s work has been published in the Journal of Accounting and Economics, and the Journal of Law Finance and Accounting and it has been cited and discussed in Forbes Magazine, Harvard Business Review and by the Institute for Truth in Accounting.
Professor Allen completed her doctoral studies at Harvard Business School, where she was a grateful recipient of the AICPA doctoral fellowship and KPMG PhD project fellowship. She earned her undergraduate and master’s degrees in accounting from the Leventhal School of Accounting at the University of Southern California. Prior to academia, she worked as an external auditor for Deloitte and Touché in the Los Angeles and San Jose offices, where she obtained her CPA license.
- Doctorate of Business Administration, Accounting, Harvard Business School, 2013
- Bachelors of Science, Accounting, University of Southern California, 2006
- Masters of Accounting, , University of Southern California, 2006
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Lecturer, Harvard Business School 2013 - 2016
- External Auditor, Deloitte and Touche 2006 - 2008
Certificates and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) - inactive 2008
- Research Workshop Committee Committee/Council Member August, 2017
- Social Committee Committee/Council Member July, 2016
- Deloitte: Trueblood Seminar Committee/Council Member May, 2017
- MIT Asia Accounting Conference Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer May, 2017
- Journal of International Accounting and Research Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer March, 2017