Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
I have two areas of academic emphasis. First, I study consumer psychology in the setting of consumer responses to trademarks (with a focus on likelihood of confusion, secondary meaning, and generic marks). This involves (a) academic research published in marketing journals and law journals and (b) performing surveys and consulting as an expert witness in trademark lawsuits. Second, I study managerial cognition. In particular, I am interested in how managers and entrepreneurs form evaluations of the new products they could launch. This involves academic research published in marketing and entrepreneurship journals.
I currently teach the marketing research class that is required for all marketing students in BYU’s highly selective MBA program. For five years prior to earning my Ph.D., I was a practicing marketing researcher.
I have been appointed by the Utah Supreme Court to serve on the State of Utah’s Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission. I serve on the commission based on my expertise in survey research.
I have been appointed to serve on BYU's Faculty General Education Council. This council decides which courses to accept and retain as General Education courses at BYU. I also serve on BYU's Academic Unit Review committee.
- Ph.D., Marketing, University of Michigan Business School, 2003
- B.S., Business Management (minor emphasis in Statistics), Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University, 1994
- International Trademark Association (INTA) 2005
- American Marketing Association (AMA) 1999
- "Sophisticated but Confused: The Impact of Brand Extension and Motivation on Source Confusion", Psychology & Marketing, Edition 5, Volume 28, Issue 5, Pages 457-478, 2011.
- "An Empirical and Consumer Psychology Analysis of Trademark Distinctiveness", Arizona State Law Journal, Edition 4, Volume 41, Issue 4, Pages 1033-1109, 2009.
- "Blind Insights: A New Technique for Testing A Priori Hypotheses with Qualitative Methods", Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, Edition 1, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 15-35, 2009.
- "Forecasting Deep Consumer Resonance: An Application of the ZaltmanMetaphor Elicitation Technique (ZMET)", Advances in Business and Management & Forecasting, Volume 5, Pages 133-156, Elsevier, 2008.
- "Sophistication, Bridging the Gap, and the Likelihood of Confusion: An Empirical and Theoretical Analysis", Trademark Reporter, Volume 98, Pages 913-949, The Law Journal of the International Trademark Association, 2008.
- "Trademarks, Consumer Psychology, And The Sophisticated Consumer", Emory Law Journal, Edition 3, Volume 57, Issue 3, Pages 575-650, Emory University School of Law, 2008.
- "The Effectiveness of Nonverbal Symbolic Signs and Metaphors in Advertisements: An Experimental Inquiry", Psychology & Marketing, Edition 3, Volume 25, Issue 3, Pages 298-316, 2008.
- "Rediscovering Theory: Integrating Ancient Hypotheses and Modern Empirical Evidence of the Audience-Response Effects of Rhetorical Figures", Go Figure: New Directions in Advertising Rhetoric, Pages 21-34, M.E. Sharpe, Armonk, NY, Edward F. McQuarrie and Barbara J. Phillips, 2007.
- "The Stonewall Metaphor: Making an Impact with Transformative Consumer Research", Advances in Consumer Research, Volume 34, Pages 8-9, Association for Consumer Research, Duluth, MN, 2007.
- "Civil Metaphor", Marketing Research, Edition 1, Volume 18, Issue 1, Pages 8-13, 2006.
- "Improving Sales Forecasts by Testing Underlying Hypotheses about Consumer Behavior: A Proposed Qualitative Method", Advances in Business and Management Forecasting, Volume 4, Pages 183-197, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Kenneth D. Lawrence et al, 2006.
- Project Director (ad hoc market research), Opinion Research Corporation 1994 - 1997
- Assistant Project Director (continuous and ad hoc market research), Fairfax Research Group 1993 - 1994
- Meritorious Teaching Award , Marketing Management Association , 2013
- Fellow, 30th Annual Albert J. Haring Symposium , University of Michigan
- Fellow, AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium , American Marketing Association
- Milton G. and Josephine H. Kendrick Marketing Award for outstanding doctoral work , University of Michigan
- Outstanding Researcher Award , Business Management Department
- Outstanding Teacher Award , Business Management Department
- Academic Unit Review Committee Committee/Council Member July, 2016
- Faculty General Education Council Committee/Council Member April, 2014
- Utah Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission Committee/Council Member August, 2013 - August, 2016