Global Management Center
Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Bruce Money is the Fred Meyer Professor of Marketing and International Business and Executive Director of the Whitmore Global Management Center at BYU. He teaches courses in global management, international marketing, and global business negotiations in the MBA and Executive MBA programs, earning the Outstanding Teacher Award by both his department and the Marriott School. Before coming to BYU in 2004, he served nine years on the faculty of the University of South Carolina, where he received five MBA teaching awards, including the Smith Award, the business school’s highest teaching honor.
Dr. Money holds a PhD in Marketing from the University of California Irvine, an MBA from the Harvard Business School (with honors), and a BA in English from BYU.
His research interests include international business-to-business marketing, services, and negotiation. He has published over 50 articles and referred proceedings, including journals such as Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, and Harvard Business Review. He serves or has served as member of the editorial review boards and reviewer for these and several other journals and conferences. Bruce is also co-author with Cateora, Gilly, and Graham on International Marketing (17th ed., McGraw-Hill), the field’s leading text. He co-chaired the 2003 national American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference.
At BYU, Dr. Money was given the Marriott School’s Outstanding Citizen Award in 2016. He has served on the operating/admissions committees of the MBA (as Marketing Major faculty chair) and EMBA programs, the Tanner Building Expansion steering committee, and the Marriott School Rank and Status committee. He also served as department chair of Business Management (now Marketing and Global Supply Chain), of over 30 faculty, 2009-2014. Bruce has served as coach of first-place teams in international business case analysis competitions and has directed 12 study abroad programs for the Marriott School. He accepted his current assignment as Executive Director of the Global Management Center in 2014.
Prior to his academic career, Dr. Money gained eight years of industry experience in the marketing of financial services, for example, as vice president of The Sakura Bank, Ltd. (now Sumitomo Mitsui) in Los Angeles, partner in a Japanese investment consultancy to William E. Simon, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, and manager of $1 billion in Japanese debt and equity relationships for the Koll Company (now CBRE). He teaches in executive education programs for clients such as Adobe, Bayer, CSX, Nissan (Tokyo headquarters), and Robert Bosch Corporation, and has been a visiting professor at business schools in Austria, Singapore, and Greece.
Bruce and his wife Kimberly are the parents of seven children (including girl-boy twins) and seven grandchildren (including girl-boy twins).
- PhD, Marketing, University of California, Irvine, 1995
- MBA (Honors), , Harvard Business School, 1988
- BA (Honors), English, Brigham Young University, 1983
- Academy of International Business 1994
- American Marketing Association - Primary 1994
- "International Negotiations", Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing ed. by J. Sheth and N. Malhotra, Volume 1, International Marketing, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- "The Influence of Information Search Tendency and Uncertainty Avoidance in Word-of-Mouth in Consumer Service Selection", Proceedings of the Academy of International Business 2010 Meeting, then submit to Journal of Business Research, Academy of International Business, 2010.
- "The Service Hand-off: Effects of Multivendor Service Performance on Customer Satisfaction: An Experimental Study", Journal of Services Marketing, Edition 3, Volume 24, Issue 3, Pages 184-195, Emerald, 2010.
- "Fishing for Compliments and Complaints: The Influence of Solicited Customer Feedback and Company Acknowledgement on Customer Attitudes and Intentions", MSI Reports, Volume 2009, Pages 51-75, Marketing Science Institute, Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- "Harnessing the power of positive feedback.", Insights from MSI., Volume 1, Pages 3-4, Marketing Science Institute., Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- "Ethical Values and Long-Term Orientation", Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 71, Pages 261-274, 2007.
- "A Measure of Long-Term Orientation: Development and Validation", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Volume 34, Pages 456-467, 2006.
- "National Culture and Industrial Buyer-Seller Relationships in the United States and Latin America", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Volume 34, Pages 386-402, 2006.
- "Celebrity Endorsements in Japan and the United States: Is Negative Information All That Harmful?", Journal of Advertising Research, Volume 46, Pages 113-123, 2006.
- "Multidimensional Versus Unidimensional Measures in Assessing National Culture Values: The Hofstede VSM Example", Journal of Business Research, Volume 59, Pages 195-203, 2006.
- "Word-of-Mouth Promotion and Switching Behavior in Japanese and American Business-to-Business Service Clients", Journal of Business Research, Volume 57, Pages 297-305, 2004.
- "Japan: Does Money Motivate?", Harvard Business Review (in abstract), Volume 75, Pages 9-10, 1999.
- "Salesperson Performance, Pay, and Job Satisfaction: Tests of a Model Using Data Collected in the U.S. and Japan", Journal of International Business Studies, Volume 30, Pages 149-172, 1999.
- "Explorations of National Culture and Word-of-Mouth Referral Behavior in the Purchase of Industrial Services in the U.S. and Japan", Journal of Marketing, Volume 62, Pages 76-87, 1998.
- "International Multilateral Negotiations and Social Networks", Journal of International Business Studies, Volume 29, Pages 695-710, 1998.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Executive Director, Global Management Center, Brigham Young University Marriott School 2014
- Department Chair, Business Management (now Marketing and Global Supply Chain), Brigham Young University Marriott School 2009 - 2014
- Professor of Marketing and International Business, Brigham Young University Marriott School 2007 - 2010
- Assistant Professor, International Business, University of South Carolina 1995 - 2001
- Associate Professor, Marketing and International Business, Brigham Young University Marriott School 2004 - 2007
- Associate Professor, International Business, University of South Carolina 2001 - 2004
- Vice President, Sakura Bank (now Sumitomo Mitsui), Ltd. 1992 - 1992
- Partner in consultancy, William E. Simon (former US Treasury Secretary) 1990 - 1992
- Director of Pacific Rim Equity Relations, The Koll Company (now CB Richard Ellis) 1988 - 1990
- Commercial Loan Officer, Mitsui Manufacturers Bank 1983 - 1986
- Outstanding Citizenship Award , Marriott School , 2016
- Fred Meyer Professor , Marriott School , 2010
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching , Marriott School , 2007
- Best Paper, Global and Cross-Cultural Marketing Track, Summer Educators' Conference , American Marketing Association , 2006
- First Place, Global Case Competition (BYU Team Faculty Advisor) , Ohio State University , 2006
- Outstanding Teacher Award , Business Management Department, Marriott School , 2006
- Donald Staheli Fellowship , Marriott School , 2005
- Best Paper, Global Marketing Track , American Marketing Association Summer Educators' Conference , 2003
- Outstanding 2nd Year Professor, MBA program , University of South Carolina , 2002
- Outstanding Professor, Professional MBA Program , University of South Carolina , 2001
- Honorable Mention, Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition , Marketing Science Institute , 1994
- Highly Commended Article, Journal of Services Marketing , Emerald LiteriNetwork
- Director — Oversee international activities of the Marriott School 2014
- Department Chair — Manage faculty activities in hiring, rank & status, etc. 2009 - 2014
- BYU Management Society, Las Vegas Chapter Guest Speaker January, 2017 - January, 2017
- Journal of International Marketing Editorial Review Board Member 2007
- Journal of International Management Editorial Review Board Member 2004
- Chair American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference Conference-Related Role 2003
- Journal of International Business Studies Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer August, 2015 - August, 2017
- Journal of International Business Studies Editorial Review Board Member 2007 - August, 2015
- AgFirst Credit Bank — 2016
- Merage Foundation for U.S. - Israeli Trade — Training/Education: Executive education seminar on strategic networking 2005
- Santee Cooper — 2003 - 2017
- Adobe Corporation — 2016 - 2016
- SONOCO Corporation — 2009 - 2013
- Zions Bank — Training/Education: Negotiation course for bank managers. Also wrote report on market for private company trust services 2007 - 2013
- Cambridge University — Training/Education: Negotiation class for APM terminals, client of Cambridge's executive education program. 2009 - 2009
- ALBA (private graduate business school in Greece) — 2003 - 2008
- Robert Bosch Corp. — 2003 - 2004
- Nissan (Tokyo HQ) — 2001 - 2004
- Bayer — 2002 - 2003
- CSX — 2000 - 2001