Global Management Center
Marketing and Global Supply Chain, Department of
Office: 360D TNRB
Bruce Money is Executive Director of the Whitmore Global Management Center and the Fred Meyer Professor of Marketing and International Business at the Marriott School at Brigham Young University, where he teaches courses in international management, international marketing, and global business negotiations at the MBA and Executive MBA levels. In 2006 he was presented the Outstanding Teacher Award in his department. He also won the Outstanding Teacher Award for BYU’s Marriott School of about 130 faculty in 2007. In 2017, he was given the school's Outstanding Citizen Award for his administrative service. In 2004, 2006 and 2007, Dr. Money coached BYU student teams to first-place honors in international case analysis competitions held at Ohio State University.
Prior to joining BYU in 2004, he served nine years on the faculty of the University of South Carolina, where he received the business school’s highest teaching honor in 2000, the Alfred G. Smith Jr. Award. Dr. Money was also selected by students as Outstanding Professor in MBA programs by four out of five graduating classes, 2000-2002, and 2004. He was also named one of the school’s five most popular professors in Business Week’s “Guide to the Best Business Schools.” In all, he has received seven outstanding professor awards.
Dr. Money received his PhD in Marketing from the University of California Irvine. He also holds a bachelor’s degree in English from Brigham Young University and an MBA from the Harvard Business School, where he graduated with Honors.
Professor Money’s research interests include international business-to-business marketing, services marketing, negotiation, and the measurement/influence of national culture. His articles have been published by journals such as Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Advertising Research, Sloan Management Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Harvard Business Review (in abstract), and by the Marketing Science Institute (MSI), who awarded him Honorable Mention in its Alden G. Clayton doctoral dissertation competition.
Dr. Money serves or has served on the editorial review boards of Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Marketing, and the Journal of International Management. He has reviewed manuscripts ad hoc for journals such as Journal of Marketing Research and Journal of Marketing. Dr. Money served as co-chair of the 2003 American Marketing Association Summer Educators’ Conference in Chicago.
Prior to his academic career, Dr. Money gained 10 years of professional and non-profit experience, mostly in the marketing of financial services. Proficient in Japanese, his most recent business position was Vice President in the Los Angeles office of The Sakura Bank, Ltd. (now Sumitomo Mitsui), one of the world’s largest banks. There he directed the bank’s marketing strategy to Fortune 100 prospects for the Western U.S. (11 states) and managed a corporate loan portfolio of $200 million. Dr. Money also served as partner in a consultancy to William E. Simon, former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, for whom he initiated a Japanese investment program. Dr. Money also directed $1 billion in Japanese debt and equity relationships for the Koll Company (now CB Richard Ellis), the West Coast’s largest real estate developer, where he created the company’s first joint venture negotiation reference guide.
Dr. Money has taught in more than 50 executive education programs for clients such as Adobe, Bayer, CSX, Nissan (Tokyo headquarters), and Robert Bosch Corporation. Dr. Money has also been a visiting professor at business schools in Austria, Singapore, and Greece.
- PhD, Marketing, University of California, Irvine, 1995
- MBA (Honors), , Harvard Business School, 1988
- BA (Honors), English, Brigham Young University, 1983
- Academy of International Business 1994
- American Marketing Association - Primary 1994
- "International Negotiations", Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing ed. by J. Sheth and N. Malhotra, Volume 1, International Marketing, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- "The Influence of Information Search Tendency and Uncertainty Avoidance in Word-of-Mouth in Consumer Service Selection", Proceedings of the Academy of International Business 2010 Meeting, then submit to Journal of Business Research, Academy of International Business, 2010.
- "The Service Hand-off: Effects of Multivendor Service Performance on Customer Satisfaction: An Experimental Study", Journal of Services Marketing, Edition 3, Volume 24, Issue 3, Pages 184-195, Emerald, 2010.
- "Fishing for Compliments and Complaints: The Influence of Solicited Customer Feedback and Company Acknowledgement on Customer Attitudes and Intentions", MSI Reports, Volume 2009, Pages 51-75, Marketing Science Institute, Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- "Harnessing the power of positive feedback.", Insights from MSI., Volume 1, Pages 3-4, Marketing Science Institute., Cambridge, MA, 2009.
- "Ethical Values and Long-Term Orientation", Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 71, Pages 261-274, 2007.
- "A Measure of Long-Term Orientation: Development and Validation", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Volume 34, Pages 456-467, 2006.
- "National Culture and Industrial Buyer-Seller Relationships in the United States and Latin America", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Volume 34, Pages 386-402, 2006.
- "Celebrity Endorsements in Japan and the United States: Is Negative Information All That Harmful?", Journal of Advertising Research, Volume 46, Pages 113-123, 2006.
- "Multidimensional Versus Unidimensional Measures in Assessing National Culture Values: The Hofstede VSM Example", Journal of Business Research, Volume 59, Pages 195-203, 2006.
- "Word-of-Mouth Promotion and Switching Behavior in Japanese and American Business-to-Business Service Clients", Journal of Business Research, Volume 57, Pages 297-305, 2004.
- "Japan: Does Money Motivate?", Harvard Business Review (in abstract), Volume 75, Pages 9-10, 1999.
- "Salesperson Performance, Pay, and Job Satisfaction: Tests of a Model Using Data Collected in the U.S. and Japan", Journal of International Business Studies, Volume 30, Pages 149-172, 1999.
- "Explorations of National Culture and Word-of-Mouth Referral Behavior in the Purchase of Industrial Services in the U.S. and Japan", Journal of Marketing, Volume 62, Pages 76-87, 1998.
- "International Multilateral Negotiations and Social Networks", Journal of International Business Studies, Volume 29, Pages 695-710, 1998.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Executive Director, Global Management Center, Brigham Young University Marriott School 2014
- Professor of Marketing and International Business, Brigham Young University Marriott School 2007 - 2010
- Assistant Professor, International Business, University of South Carolina 1995 - 2001
- Associate Professor, Marketing and International Business, Brigham Young University 2004 - 2007
- Associate Professor, International Business, University of South Carolina 2001 - 2004
- Vice President, Sakura Bank (now Sumitomo Mitsui), Ltd. 1992 - 1992
- Partner in consultancy, William E. Simon (former US Treasury Secretary) 1990 - 1992
- Director of Pacific Rim Equity Relations, The Koll Company (now CB Richard Ellis) 1988 - 1990
- Commercial Loan Officer, Mitsui Manufacturers Bank 1983 - 1986
- Outstanding Citizenship Award , Marriott School , 2017
- Fred Meyer Professor , Marriott School , 2010
- Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching , Marriott School , 2007
- Best Paper, Global and Cross-Cultural Marketing Track, Summer Educators' Conference , American Marketing Association , 2006
- First Place, Global Case Competition (BYU Team Faculty Advisor) , Ohio State University , 2006
- Outstanding Teacher Award , Business Management Department, Marriott School , 2006
- Donald Staheli Fellowship , Marriott School , 2005
- Best Paper, Global Marketing Track , American Marketing Association Summer Educators' Conference , 2003
- Outstanding 2nd Year Professor, MBA program , University of South Carolina , 2002
- Outstanding Professor, Professional MBA Program , University of South Carolina , 2001
- Honorable Mention, Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition , Marketing Science Institute , 1994
- Highly Commended Article, Journal of Services Marketing , Emerald LiteriNetwork
- Director — Oversee international activities of the Marriott School 2014
- Department Chair — Manage faculty activities in hiring, rank & status, etc. 2009 - 2014
- Journal of International Business Studies Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer August, 2015
- Journal of International Marketing Editorial Review Board Member 2007
- Journal of International Management Editorial Review Board Member 2004
- Chair American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference Conference-Related Role 2003
- Journal of International Business Studies Editorial Review Board Member 2007 - August, 2015
- AgFirst Credit Bank — 2016
- Merage Foundation for U.S. - Israeli Trade — Training/Education: Executive education seminar on strategic networking 2005
- Santee Cooper — 2003
- Adobe Corporation — 2016 - 2016
- SONOCO Corporation — 2009 - 2013
- Zions Bank — Training/Education: Negotiation course for bank managers. Also wrote report on market for private company trust services 2007 - 2013
- Cambridge University — Training/Education: Negotiation class for APM terminals, client of Cambridge's executive education program. 2009 - 2009
- ALBA (private graduate business school in Greece) — 2003 - 2008
- Robert Bosch Corp. — 2003 - 2004
- Nissan (Tokyo HQ) — 2001 - 2004
- Bayer — 2002 - 2003
- CSX — 2000 - 2001