Information Systems, Department of
Office: 786 TNRB
Doug Dean is an Associate Professor of Information Systems (IS) at the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University (BYU), where he has taught since 1999. He teaches graduate class in strategic management of IT and data mining. He has a PhD in MIS from the University of Arizona. He has published over forty articles in top scientific journals and conferences in the areas of decision support systems, eBusinesss, collaborative tools and methods, and information systems requirements elicitation. His research has been cited over 1200 times. Dr. Dean has consulted with VMWare, Glidewell Dental, DELL, IBM, Lockheed-Martin Corporation, the U.S. Department of Defense, and others. He resides in Springville Utah. He is married with 6 children, whose ages range from 13 to 23.
- PhD, Information Systems, University of Arizona, 1995
- MA, Information Systems and Accounting, Brigham Young University, 1989
- BS, Accounting, University of Utah, 1987
- "Flipping the classroom and instructional technology integration in a college-level information systems spreadsheet course", Educational Technology Research and Development, Edition 4, Volume 61, Issue 4, Pages 563-580, 2013.
- "Profiling the Research Productivity of Tenured Information Systems Faculty at U.S. Institutions", MIS Quarterly, Edition 1, Volume 35, Issue 1, Pages 1-15, 2011.
- "A Seven-Layer Model of Collaboration: Separation of Concerns for Designers of Collaboration Systems", The International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), 2009.
- "Toward Building Self-Sustaining Groups in PCR-Based Tasks Through Implicit Coordination: The Case of Heuristic Evaluation", Journal of the AIS, Volume 10, Pages 170-195, 2009.
- "A method for building a referent business activity model for evaluating information systems: results from a case study.", Communications of the AIS, Volume 20, Pages 872-891, 2007.
- "A Semantic Web Data Retrieval Implementation with an Adaptive Model for Supporting Agent Decision Structures", Electronic Commerce Research, Volume 7, Pages 5-16, 2007.
- "An Ontological Approach to Evaluating Standards in E-Commerce Platforms", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Edition 5, Volume 37, Issue 5, Pages 846-859, IEEE, 2007.
- "Identifying good ideas: constructs and scales for idea evaluation", Journal of the AIS, Volume 7, Pages 473-508, 2006.
- "Marketplace and Technology Standards for B2B E-Commerce: Progress, Challenges, and the State of the Art", Information & Management, Volume 42, Pages 865-875, 2005.
- "An Examination of the Impact of Stimuli Type and GSS Structure on Creativity: Brainstorming Versus Non-brainstorming Techniques in a GSS Environment", Journal of MIS, Volume 18, Pages 59-85, 2002.
- "Enabling the Effective Involvement of Multiple Users: Methods and Tools for Collaborative Software Engineering", Journal of MIS, Edition 3, Volume 14, Issue 3, Pages 179-222, 1998.
- "Decomposed vs. Holistic Estimates of Effort Required for Software Writing Tasks", Management Science, Edition 7, Volume 43, Issue 7, Pages 1029-1045, 1997.