To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Kristen Bell DeTienne, M.A., Ph.D. is a Full Professor in the Department of Organizational Leadership and Strategy at Brigham Young University. Kristen teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in negotiation and organizational behavior.
Dr. DeTienne earned her Ph.D. from the University of Southern California, where she also taught classes and conducted research. She worked as a Consulting Associate for Oasis Management Consultants in Long Beach, California.
Dr. DeTienne’s research has received international recognition. She received the “Outstanding Paper Award” for her article in Competitiveness Review. Her monitoring legislation article was selected for Best of the American Bar Association. Her research was awarded outstanding article of the year by the Association for Business Communication. She won the Best of Conference Honors at the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference. She received the “Best Paper” award from the Southwest Academy of Management.
Kristen’s books, Guide to Electronic Communication, and Management Communication, are used internationally. She has published over 70 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and conference proceedings.
Kristen is an active member of the Decision Sciences Institute, the Academy of Management, and the Management Communication Association. She is also a registered Organizational Development Professional through the Organizational Development Institute. She is currently conducting research that examines customer compliments, ethics, and employee accounts.
She has been chosen as a speaker for international conferences of the Academy of Management, International Decision Sciences, International Human Resource Management, and the International Council for Technical Communication. She can be reached at email@example.com or (801) 422-4189.
- Management Communication Association — The Management Communication Association is an alliance of faculty teaching management communication courses in the top graduate schools of business. Started in 1979, our purpose is to discuss pedagogy and research issues pertaining to the field. Membership is by invitation. http://www.stern.nyu.edu/ManagementCommunication/MCA/index.htm — 1992
- Academy of Management — 1991
- "Assessing the detrimental effects of service variability on consumer confidence and behavior.", Journal of Service Research, Volume September, Sage, Michael K. Brady, 2020
- "How to Manage an Employee with Depression", Harvard Business Review, Volume Winter, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, 2020
- "Dealing with Dysfunction: Negotiating with Difficult Individuals", Negotiation Journal, Edition Summer, Harvard, Cambridge, MA, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, 2020
- "Moral development in business ethics: An examination and critique", Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, R. Edward Freeman, 2020
- "Fostering an ethical culture on your sales team", Harvard Business Review, Edition June, Page 3, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, 2019
- "Ethics Allegations Will Hurt White House Staffers Even If They Turn Out to Be False", Harvard Business Review, Edition 6/2, Volume June, Pages 1-2, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, Eben Harrel, 2017
- "Neural networks in strategic marketing: Exploring the possibilities", Journal of Strategic Marketing, Edition 1, Volume 9, Pages 1-12, Taylor and Frances, Carolyn Strong, 2015
- "Beyond instrumentalism: A relational approach to negotiation", Negotiation Journal, Edition 13(1), Volume January, Pages 31-46, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, Michael Wheeler, Harvard, 2015
- "Ethical Behavior", Research Companion to Ethical Behavior in Organizations, Pages Chapter 2, Edward Elgar Publishing, Northampton, MA, 2014
- "Jack in the Box: A Case Study in Communication Strategy", Journal of Organizational Behavior Education, Edition 1, Volume 4, Pages 1-14, Nielson, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Lynn Isabella (University of Virginia, Darden, USA) Business Communication Education Section: Michael Netzley (Singapore Management University, Singapore) and Gina Poncini (University of Milan, Italy), 2012
- "A Model of Profitable Service Recovery", Service Science Research, Strategy and Innovation: Dynamic Knowledge Management Methods, Volume Chapter 26, IGI Global, Hershey, PA, N. Delener, 2012
- "Fishing for Compliments and Complaints: The Influence of Solicited Customer Feedback and Company Acknowledgement on Customer Attitudes and Intentions", MSI Reports, Volume 2009, Pages 51-75, Marketing Science Institute, Cambridge, MA, 2009
- "Harnessing the power of positive feedback.", Insights from MSI., Volume 1, Pages 3-4, Marketing Science Institute., Cambridge, MA, 2009
- "Engaging Embedded Information: Toward a Holistic Theory of Knowledge Transfer in Organizations.", Competitiveness Review, Volume 19, Pages 323-341, 2009
- "Engaging Information: Toward a Theory of Knowledge Transfer in Organizations", Competitiveness Review, Volume 19, Pages 323-341, 2009
- "Intranets and Business Model Innovation: Managing Knowledge in the Virtual Organization", Knowledge Management and Business Model Innovation, Volume XII, Pages 198-215, 2001
- "Intranets and the Virtual Corporation: Successfully Putting the Management into Knowledge Management", Idea Group Publishing: Hershey, PA, 2000
Academic - Post-Secondary
- Visiting Professor, Pforzheim University, 2013–2013
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Marriott School of Business, 2020
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Marriott School of Business, 2017
- Beckham Scholar, Brigham Young University, 2014
- Outstanding Paper of the Year, Emerald Journals, 2010
- Best Paper, Southwest Academy of Management, 2007
- Alcuin Fellow, Brigham Young University, 2006
- Director — Director for the Global Marketing Study Abroad — 2010–2011
Certificates and Licenses
- Registered Organizational Development Professional — The Organizational Development Institute — 2008
- Group Leader - Organizational Behavior/Human Resources Faculty Group — Section Head — June 2008–June 2017
- Europe Business Study Abroad — Other — August 2012–August 2013
- Journal of Education for Business (Taylor and Francis), Editorial Review Board Member, June 2018