Management, Department of
Office: 570 TNRB
Phone: (801) 422-2666
W. Gibb Dyer (Ph.D MIT) is the O. Leslie Stone Professor of Entrepreneurship and the Academic Director of the Ballard Center for Economic Self-Reliance. Dr. Dyer is a recognized authority on family business and entrepreneurship and has been quoted in publications such as Fortune, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and Nation’s Business. In 2007 he was given the faculty teaching award from Brigham Young University’s division of continuing education, and in 2008 was given the outstanding faculty award from the Marriott School at BYU. He was recently ranked one of the top 10 researchers in the world in the field of family business.
- Academy of Management 1984
- "Team Building: Proven Strategies for Improving Team Performance", Edition 4th, Issue 4th, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2013.
- "A stakeholder identity approach to corporate social performance in family firms", Journal of Business Ethics, 2011.
- "How to create trust in family firms and rebuild it when it’s lost: Implications for practice and research", Carsrud, A. & Brännback, M. (Eds.) Expanding the Frontiers: Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives on Family Owned and Managed Firms., Springer, Heidelberg, 2011.
- "Are You the Right Type of Family Business?", Organizational Dynamics, Edition 3, Volume 39, Issue 3, Pages 269-278, Elsevier, Amdsterdam, Fred Luthans, 2010.
- "Examining the "Family Effect" on Firm Performance", Family Business Review, Volume 19, Pages 253-273, 2006.
- "Toward a Theory of Entrepreneurial Careers", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 1994.
- "The Entrepreneurial Experience: Confronting Career Dilemmas of the Start-up Executive", 1992.
- "Cultural Change in Family Firms: Anticipating and Managing Business and Family Transitions", 1986.
- Department Chair — 1993 - 1996
- Curriculum Committee Committee/Council Member June, 2015
- Undergraduate Program OBHR Program Chair/Coordinator June, 2015
- Rank and Status Committee/Council Member August, 2014
- Family Business Review Editor, Associate Editor September, 2014
- You can take it with you. Three keys to career success as a family business scholar. - FERC - Family Enterprise Research Conference - 2015
- Are you the right type of family business? - Meiji University - Family Business Seminar - 2012