Management, Department of
Office: 626 TNRB
Nile W. Hatch is an associate professor of Entrepreneurship and Strategy and is an Alumni research fellow at the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University. He joined the Marriott School faculty in 2000 in strategic management and joined the entrepreneurship group in 2007 when it was created. He teaches entrepreneurship, innovation, and the economics of strategy. He earned a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley and M.S. and B.S. degrees from Brigham Young University. Before coming to the Marriott School, he taught strategy at the University of Illinois. His research focuses on learning and innovation as determinants of entrepreneurial success and corporate agility. Specifically, he studies innovation for heterogeneous customers, capitalizing on competitive advantage, growth paths in new ventures, the timing of strategic investments, innovation in supplier networks, and management of human capital. His research has appeared in the Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Venturing, Management Science, Sloan Management Review, and the Strategic Management Journal.
- PHD, Agricultural Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 1995
- MS, Economics, Brigham Young University, 1989
- BS, Agricultural Economics, Brigham Young University, 1988
- INFORMS 1997
- Academy of Management 1996
- Strategic Management Society 1996
- "Competing Against Free", Harvard Business Review, Pages 104-111, Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, MA, 2011.
- "Dual-Track Versus Single-Track Sell-Outs: An Empirical Analysis of Competing Harvest Strategies", Volume 25, Pages 389-402, Journal of Business Venturing, 2010.
- "Researching Corporate Social Responsibility: An Agenda for the 21st Century", Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 70, 2007.
- "Relation-Specific Capabilities and Barriers to Knowledge Transfers: Creating Relationship through Network Relationships", Strategic Management Journal, Volume 27, 2006.
- "Human Capital and Learning by Doing as a Source of Sustainable Competitive Advantage", Strategic Management Journal, Volume 25, Pages 1155-1178, 2004.
- "Using Supplier Networks to Learn Faster", Sloan Management Review, Volume 45, Pages 57-63, 2004.
- Director, American Merchants Life Insurance Company 1998 - 2000
- Director, Reassure America Life Insurance Company 1998 - 2000
- Best Paper Award Runner-up , Technology and Innovation Management Division of the Academy of Management
- Outstanding Reviewer Award , Business Policy and Strategy Division of the Academy of Management
- Sumantra Ghoshal Research and Practice Award (joint with Jeff Dyer) , Business Policy and Strategy Division of the Academy of Management
- Teaching Excellence Award , Marriott School
- Dutch; Flemish
- Department Rank and Status Committee Committee/Council Member 2007
- Entrepreneurship Group Leader Committee/Council Chair 2007
- Marriott School Curriculum Committee Committee/Council Member 2007 - 2009
- MBA High Technology Club Student Org Advisor 2004 - 2009
- Business Plan Competition Other May, 2007 - May, 2009
- MBA field study: Governors Task Force on Technology Transfer Other 2000 - 2000
- Knowledge, Learning, and Intellectual Capital Officer 2005
- Technology Management Section of INFORMS Officer 2009 - 2011
- Teaching Committee of the Business Policy and Strategy Division of the Academy of Management Committee/Council Member 2003 - 2005
- Information Velocity and Competitive Advantage - - Informs San Diego 2009 - 2009
- Mapping the Growth Path through Controlled Burn - - INFORMS Annual Conference - 2007
- Prune to Grow: The Role of Abandonment in Technological Resource Creation - - Strategic Management Society Annual Conference - 2007
- Surgeon, Surgical Team, and Surgery-Recovery System Knowledge Generation and Learning in a Hospital - - Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) Annual Conference - 2007
- Surgeon, Surgical Team, and Surgery-Recovery System Knowledge Generation and Learning in a Hospital - - INFORMS Annual Conference - 2007
- "Governance for growth: real options perspectives on supplier transactions" - - SMS Annual Conference - 2006
- Building Healthy Communities of Practice: The Nurture of Open Source Communities - - INFORMS - 2006