Finance, Department of
Office: 618 TNRB
Barrett A. Slade, PhD, MAI and Professor of Real Estate at the Marriott School at Brigham Young University, has over 30 years of experience in the real estate profession. His valuation and consulting experience includes portfolio valuation, due diligence investigations, feasibility studies, white paper research studies, problem property strategies, and expert witness testimony. He is the author of The Valuation of Office Properties: A Contemporary Perspective, published by the Appraisal Institute. His research has been published in numerous real estate finance and economics journals including The Appraisal Journal, the Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Real Estate Economics, the Journal of Real Estate Research, the National Tax Journal, the Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education, the Institutional Real Estate Letter, Real Estate Review, and the Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management.
- "Land Rush! The Winners and Losers in the New Century", The Appraisal Journal, Edition 1, Volume LXXXII, Issue 1, Pages 37-58, Appraisal Institute, Chicago, IL, 2014.
- "Rushing to Overpay: Modeling and Measuring the REIT Premium", Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Edition 3, Volume 47, Issue 3, Pages 506-537, Springer, 2013.
- "National Transaction-based Land Price Indices", Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Edition 4, Volume 45, Issue 4, Pages 829-845, Springer, Grenadier, Kau, Sirmans, 2012.
- "Office Property DCF Assumptions: What We Learn from Two Decades of Analysts Surveys", The Appraisal Journal, Edition 3, Volume LXXVIII, Issue 3, Pages 251-261, Appraisal Institute, Chicago, IL, 2010.
- "Constructing Commercial Indices: A Semiparametric Adaptive Estimator Approach", Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics, Volume 32, Pages 151-168, Springer, 2006.
- "Assessed Valuation and Property Taxation of Multi-family Housing: An Empirical Analysis of Horizontal and Vertical Equity", Journal of Real Estate Research, Volume 27, Pages 17-46, American Real Estate Society, 2005.
- "Do Out-of-State Buyers Pay More for Real Estate? An Examination of Anchoring-Induced Bias and Search Costs", Real Estate Economics, Edition 1, Volume 32, Issue 1, Pages 85-126, 2004.
- "Some Loans Are More Equal than Others: Third -Party Originations and Defaults in the Subprime Mortgage Industry", Real Estate Economics, Edition 4, Volume 30, Issue 4, Pages 667-697, 2002.
- Outstanding Researcher Award , Finance Department , 2013
- James Passey Professorship , Marriott School , 2012
- Richard U. Ratcliff Award , Appraisal Institute , 2011
- Marriott School Scholarly Excellence Award , Marriott School , 2009
- Manuscript Prize-Best Paper Published in the Journal of Real Estate Research , Homer Hoyt Advanced Studies Institute , 2001
- Outstanding Researcher Award , Business Management Department , 2001
- LeRoy Pia Leadership and Service Award , Appraisal Institute--Utah Chapter
- What's Happening to the Utah County Housing Market? An Examination of Trends Comparing Naive Index Methods to Hedonic Constant-Quality Index Methods - - Utah Academy of Sciences, Arts, & Letters Annual Meeting - 2001