School of Accountancy
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
I am the PricewaterhouseCoopers Professor of Accounting at Brigham Young University (BYU). I hold bachelors and masters degrees from BYU and a Ph.D. from Cornell University. I have been on the full-time faculty at Rice University, the University of Arizona, and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). In addition, for two years I was the Ernst & Young Professor of Accounting and Finance at Nazarbayev University in Astana, Kazakhstan.
I won the Phi Beta Kappa teaching award at Rice University, was twice selected as one of the ten best lecturers on campus at HKUST, won six teaching awards at Nazarbayev University, and was awarded the Maeser Excellence in Teaching Award at BYU, the university’s highest teaching honor.
I have taught in a variety of executive education and corporate training programs in the United States, Hong Kong, China, Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, France, and South Africa. I am currently on the executive MBA faculty of HKUST in Hong Kong and the Moscow School of Management (Skolkovo). In the Kellogg-HKUST EMBA program, which has been ranked #1 in the world (by the Financial Times) 10 times in the past 13 years, I have twice been selected by the graduating class as the program’s outstanding faculty member.
Three of my children (Derrald, Han, and Lorien) are also accounting professors.
I have been writing accounting textbooks since 1990. I am co-author of Intermediate Accounting, 19th edition; Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th edition; and Financial Accounting: Reporting and Analysis, 7th Edition. I am now the co-creator (with my brother Jim and with our colleague Steve Albrecht) of online textbooks for Financial and Managerial Accounting courses at MyEducator.com.
My brother Jim and I create online learning tools in Accounting and Finance. We have over 40 courses in the LinkedIn Learning library.
- PHD, ACCOUNTING, CORNELL UNIVERSITY, 1988
- MAC, ACCOUNTING, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1982
- BS -- summa cum laude, ACCOUNTING, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1981
- "Intermediate Accounting, 19th edition", Page 1300, Cengage, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2012
- "How the French Put U.S. Adoption of International Accounting Standards on the Rocks", Marriott Alumni Magazine, Volume Fall 2010, Pages Pages 12 through 15, Marriott School of Management, Provo, Utah, 2010
- "Intermediate Accounting, 18th edition", Page 1300, Cengage, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2010
- "Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th Edition", Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th Edition, Page 1000, South-Western, Cengage Learning, Cincinnati, OH, 2009
- "Analyst Forecasting Ability and the Stock Price Reaction to Forecast Revisions", Review of Accounting Studies, Volume 5, Pages 259-272, 2000
Academic - Post-Secondary
- Visiting Professor, Moscow School of Management (SKOLKOVO), 2012
- Visiting Professor, China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), 2001
- Professor, Brigham Young University, 1998
- Visiting Professor, Kellogg-HKUST Executive MBA Program, 1998
- Ernst & Young Professor of Accounting and Finance, Nazarbayev University, 2015–2017
- Assistant Professor, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1995–1998
- Assistant Professor, Rice University, 1990–1995
- Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, 1987–1990
- Best Professor Award -- Graduating Class 2013, HKUST EMBA for Chinese Executives, 2013
- Best Professor Award -- Graduating Class 2012, HKUST EMBA for Chinese Executives, 2012
- Best Professor Award -- Graduating Class 2011, HKUST EMBA for Chinese Executives, 2011
- Karl G. Maeser Teaching Excellence Award, Brigham Young University, 2011
- KH13 Graduating Class Best Professor Award, Kellogg-HKUST EMBA Program, 2011
- Merrill J. Bateman Award, Outstanding Faculty, Marriott School, 2008
- First Year Best Professor, University of Illinois -- The Executive MBA, 2007
- Marriott School Teaching Excellence Award, Brigham Young University, 2004
- Best Ten Lecturers, 1996, 1998, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1996
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Rice University, 1995
- Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Prize, Rice University, 1995
- BPA Professor of the Year, University of Arizona, 1987
- Academic Innovation Task Force — Committee/Council Member — September 2011–April 2012