Accountancy, School of
Office: 520 TNRB
Phone: (801) 422-3174
Professor Monte Swain is the Deloitte Professor in the School of Accountancy. Since graduating from Michigan State University in 1991, Professor Swain has researched and taught management accounting at Brigham Young University. Professor Swain has been the recipient of a number of teaching awards at both BYU and MSU. Professor Swain is a licensed CPA and a Certified Management Accountant. He took an academic leave from BYU from July 1999 to July 2000 to serve as the Chief Financial Officer for Authorize.Net (payment-processing service for e-commerce).
- PHD, ACCOUNTING, MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, 1991
- MAC, ACCOUNTING, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1987
- BS, ACCOUNTING, BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY, 1986
- "From Student to Accounting Professional: A Longitudinal Study of the Filtering Process", Issues in Accounting Education, Edition 1, Volume 27, Issue 1, Pages 17-52, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, FL, 2012.
- "Managing the CPA Firm at Dodge Company (teaching case)", Issues in Accounting Education, Edition 4, Volume 25, Issue 4, Pages 721-739, 2010.
- "Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th Edition", Accounting: Concepts and Applications, 11th Edition, Pages 1000, South-Western, Cengage Learning, Cincinnati, OH, 2009.
- "Blue Ridge Revisited--Integrating ABC and OROS Quick? Software", Journal of Accounting Education, Volume 27, Pages 85-103, Elsevier, 2009.
- "A Research Note on the Effects of Target Focus on the Use of Financial and Nonfinancial Measures in Balanced Scorecard Evaluations", Advances in Accounting Behavioral Research, Volume 11, Pages 155-177, Emerald Group Publishing, 2008.
- Brummet Distinguished Award for Management Accounting Educators , Institute of Management Accountants
- Faculty Mentoring Award , BYU Executive MBA Program
Certificates and Licenses
- Chartered Global Management Accountant AICPA and CIMA 2016
- Certified Management Accountant Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) 1994
- Certified Public Accountant American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) 1987
- MBA and Executive MBA Program Program Chair/Coordinator May, 2011 - December, 2013
- Issues in Accounting Education Editor, Associate Editor 2010 - 2013