Management, Department of
Office: 636 TNRB
John Bingham is Professor, Donald L. Staheli Fellow, and chair of the Department of Management in the Marriott School at BYU. John joined the Marriott School in 2005 and teaches organizational behavior and strategic human resource management courses to Executive MBA, MBA, and undergraduate students. John conducts research on the interdependent and evolving exchanges among employees, their organizations, and related external constituencies. His work has been published in leading management journals including Organization Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Business Ethics Quarterly, Journal of Business Ethics, Human Resource Management Review, Group and Organization Management, and Business Horizons. In 2012, John received the Ascendant Scholar Award from the Western Academy of Management. John served as director of the MBA and Executive MBA programs at BYU from 2013 – 2016.
John is committed to high-quality learning experiences and has received numerous awards for teaching and mentoring BYU students including the Marriott School Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, the OBSA Outstanding MBA Teacher of the Year Award, the OBSA Outstanding MBA Mentor Award, and the Merrill J. Bateman Student Choice Faculty Award, the only Marriott School-wide faculty honor selected entirely by students.
John consults regularly on topics related to his research and has worked on a variety of collaborative projects with firms. Previous to academia, he co-founded two professional service ventures and worked in business development for a technology start-up. He enjoys hiking, biking, river rafting, skiing, and traveling with his wife, Amy, and their five children.
- Ph.D., Management (Organizational Behavior & Human Resources), Texas A&M University, 2005
- M.S., Parks, Recreation, & Tourism (Finance & Marketing), University of Utah, 2000
- B.A., Languages and Literature (Spanish), University of Utah, 1998
- American Psychological Association - Member 2005
- Academy of Management - Member 2001
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Member 2001
- "Psychological contracts", Oxford Bibliographies in Management, Oxford University Press, New York, 2015.
- "Do Socially Responsible Firms Pay their Executives More or Less? A Stakeholder Management Perspective on the Link between Social Performance and Executive Compensation", Business Ethics Quarterly, 2014.
- "Moral Awareness in Behavioral Ethics", Guidebook to Behavioral Ethics in Organizations: Constructs and Measures, Edward Elgar, 2014.
- "Status and the true believer: The impact of psychological contracts on social status attributions of friendship and influence.", Organization Science, Informs, 2014.
- "Working for a higher purpose: A theoretical framework for commitment to organization-sponsored causes", Human Resource Management Review, Edition 23, Issue 23, Pages 174-189, 2013.
- "Performance Management at Vitality Health Enterprises, Inc.", Harvard Business School Press, 2012.
- "Working for a higher purpose: A theoretical framework for commitment to organization-sponsored causes", Human Resource Management Review, 2012.
- "A stakeholder identity approach to corporate social performance in family firms", Journal of Business Ethics, 2011.
- "When organizational citizens do bad things for good reasons: Examining unethical prosocial behaviors.", Organization Science, Informs, 2011.
- "Paved with good intentions: Unethical behavior conducted to benefit the organization, coworkers, and customers.", Managerial Ethics: Managing the Psychology of Morality, Routledge/Psychology Press, 2010.
- "Unethical behavior in the name of the company: The moderating effect of organizational identification and positive reciprocity beliefs on unethical pro-organizational behavior", Journal of Applied Psychology, Volume 95, Pages 769-780, 2010.
- "The influence of distributive justice on lying for and stealing from a supervisor", Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 86, Pages 507 - 518, 2009.
- "Fairness from the top: Perceived procedural justice and collaborative problem solving in new product development", Organization Science, Volume 18, 2007.
- "Aligning employees through line of sight", Business Horizons, 2006.
- "Job demands and job search among high-level executives in the U.S. and Europe", Group & Organization Management, Volume 30, Pages 653-681, 2005.
- Ascendant Scholar Award , Western Academy of Management , 2012
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award , Marriott School of Management , 2012
- Outstanding MBA Mentor Award, OBSA , Marriott School of Management , 2011
- Merrill J. Bateman Student Choice Faculty Award , Marriott School of Management , 2010
- Outstanding Reviewer, OB Division , Academy of Management , 2010
- Outstanding MBA Teacher of the Year , OBSA - Marriott School of Management , 2009
- Donald L. Staheli Faculty Fellowship , Marriott School of Management , 2008
- Mentoring Environment Grant (MEG) recipient , BYU Office of Research & Creative Activities , 2008
- Outstanding Reviewer, OB Division , Academy of Management , 2007
- Director — 2014
- MBA Program Program Chair/Coordinator December, 2013 - August, 2016