Public Service and Ethics, Romney Institute of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Eva M. Witesman, Ph.D. is an expert in strategic planning and evidence-based innovation, including a full range of quantitative and qualitative program evaluation tools, techniques and practices. Dr. Witesman focuses her work on the public and nonprofit sectors, seeking to improve public outcomes through data-informed management.
Through her faculty appointment in the BYU MPA program, Dr. Witesman provides pro-bono evaluation and analysis services to select community partners. For more information, please contact Dr. Witesman by e-mail through the contact link provided on this page.
- American Evaluation Association 2016
- American Society for Public Administration 2009
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action 2009
- Public Management Research Association 2009
- "Direct Government Investment: Perverse Privatization or a New Tool of Government", Public Administration Review.
- "The blurring hypothesis reconsidered: How sector still matters to practitioners", Voluntas, Pages 1831-1852, 2016.
- "An Institutional Theory of the Nonprofit: Toll Goods and Voluntary Action", Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 2016.
- "Nonprofit collaboration and the resurrection of market failure: How a resource sharing environment can suppress social objectives", Voluntas, 2016.
- "The Public Values of Political Preference", International Journal of Public Administration, 2015.
- "Sector Choice: How Fair Trade Entrepreneurs Choose Between Nonprofit and For-Profit Forms", Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Pages 832-851, 2015.
- "Modeling Public Decision Preferences Using Context-Specific Value Hierarchies", American Review of Public Administration, Edition 1, Volume 45, Issue 1, Pages 86-105, 2014.
- "Evidence-based Innovation: Creating a Statewide Initiative", Utah Governor's Office of Management and Budget, 2014.
- "Public Service Values: A new approach to the study of motivation in the public sphere", Public Administration, John Wiley, London, Arjen Boin, 2013.
- "Faculty research-driven vs. community-driven experiential learning in the quantitative public administration curriculum", Journal of Public Administration Education, 2012.
- "On-site Collaboration for Organizational Effectiveness: The Shalom Community Center", Read to Lead Nonprofit Case Series, Rossi Smith Publishers, 2012.
- "The Reformer’s Spirit: How public administrators fuel training in the skills of good governance", Public Administration Review, 2012.
- "Government Contracts With Private Organizations: Are There Differences Between Nonprofits and For-profits?", Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 2012.
- "Americans Giving to Japan: Preliminary Findings in New Survey Track Americans’ Response in First Two Weeks After Disaster", PA Times, ASPA, 2011.
- "Order Beyond Crisis: Organizing Considerations across the Public Service Configuration Life Cycle", Public Administration Review, 2010.
- "Planning for Emergency Response Volunteers", Homeland Security: Best Practices for Local Government, Edition 2, Issue 2, ICMA Press, Washington, D.C., Roger Kemp, 2010.
- "The Centralization/ Decentralization Paradox in Civil Service Reform: How Government Structure Affects Democratic Training of Civil Servants", Public Administration Review, Volume 69, 2009.
- "Planning for Emergency Response Volunteers", PA Times, Volume 32, Pages 6, American Society for Public Administrators, 2009.
- Stewart Grow Research Fellowship, Marriott School of Management, 2016
- Teacher of the Year, MPA Student Association (MPAA), 2015
- Research Fellow, Ballard Center, 2011
- Teacher of the Year, MPA Student Association (MPAA), 2009
Certificates and Licenses
- Certificate of Fund Raising Management Center on Philanthropy 2004
- Learn Do Become Advisory Board Committee/Council Member January, 2019
- BYU Faculty Advisory Council (Research Committee) Committee/Council Chair September, 2018
- BYU GoodMeasure Program Chair/Coordinator September, 2018
- Journal of Public Adminsitration Research and Theory Editorial Review Board Member January, 2019
- Academy of Management Public/Nonprofit Division Officer (specify in Other) August, 2017
- American Review of Public Administration Editorial Review Board Member April, 2015
- Utah State Division of Substance Abuse Evidence-Based Workgroup Committee/Council Member 2013
- Utah Government Auditors Association Guest Speaker November, 2016 - November, 2016
- National Governor's Association Guest Speaker September, 2015 - September, 2015
- Salt Lake Community Network Guest Speaker May, 2015 - May, 2015
- Northern Utah Association of Government Accountants Guest Speaker November, 2014 - November, 2014
- UTAH OPS Conference Guest Speaker September, 2014 - September, 2014
- Utah Governor's Office of Management and Budget — Provide consultation and training on topics related to performance measurement and program evaluation, including development of a roadmap for statewide adoption of evidence-based practice. January, 2014 - December, 2016
- Utah Department of Health — Provided consultation on performance measure and program evaluation concepts generally. December, 2014 - December, 2014
- National Governor's Association — Discussed statewide initiatives on evidence-based practice and potential models and opportunities for encouraging evidence-based practice in state governments. October, 2014 - October, 2014
- Utah Department of Technology Services — Provided consultation on evaluation and reporting of technological security efforts provided by DTS to state government. September, 2014 - September, 2014