Associate Professor,Download Vita
Experience Design & Management, Department of
Experience Design & Management, Department of
Office: W423 TNRB
- Ph.D., Educational Leadership & Foundations, Brigham Young University, 2004
- M.S., Exercise Physiology, University of Utah, 1981
- Phi Kappa Phi 2009
- Association of Experiential Educators 2003
- American Alpine Club 1983
- "Second class soldiers: The role of an outdoor sports and recreation program in addressing the relationship between gender, social support, and military trauma.", This land is your land: Toward a better understanding of nature’s resiliency-building and restorative power for armed forces personnel, veterans, and their families., Sagamore Publishing LLC, Urbana, IL, 2015.
- "The motivations and satisfactions attendant to mountaineering", Mountaineering Tourism, Routledge, New York, New York, Ghazali Musa, James Higham, & Anna Thompson-Carr, 2015.
- "The Wilderness Adventure Offers a Path to Self-Actualization", Wilderness Adventure in Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild, Pages 107-119, Greenhaven Press, Farmington Hills, MI, Noel Merino, 2015.
- "Fortifying leisure: Adolescent perspectives of family leisure in Uganda", Journal of Adolescent Research, Edition 6, Volume 30, Issue 6, Pages 729-750, SAGE, 2015.
- "Increasing and Generalizing Self-Efficacy: The effects of adventure recreation on the academic efficacy of early adolescents", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 2, Volume 47, Issue 2, Pages 165-183, Sagamore, Urbana, IL, 2014.
- "The diversity of therapeutic recreation: Application of TR in corporate world of business", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 47, Issue 1, Pages 1-12, National Recreation and Parks Association, 2013.
- "The Nature of Knowledge", Phi Kappa Phi Forum, Edition 2, Volume 93, Issue 2, Pages 14-17, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Baton Rouge, LA, Peter Szatmary, 2013.
- "Antecedents of identity development in a structured recreation setting: A qualitative inquiry", Journal of Adolescent Research, Edition 2, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 183-202, 2012.
- "Identity Negotiating: Re-defining Stigmatized Identities through Recreational Sports Participation among Individuals with Physical Disability", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 2, Volume 43, Issue 2, Pages 205-225, Sagamore Publishing LLC, Urbana, IL, Kimberly J. Shinew, 2011.
- "Adventures in identity development: The impact of a two-week adventure program on adolescent identity development", Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, Edition 4, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 341-359, 2009.
- "The attributes of effective field staff in wilderness programs: Changing youths' perspectives of being "cool"", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 43, Issue 1, Pages 11-26, 2009.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Assistant Professor, Brigham Young University 2004 - 2011
- Senior Consultant & Founder, Ampelis, LLC 2013
Certificates and Licenses
- CPR & AED American Heart Association 2016
- Wilderness First Responder Wilderness Medicine Institute 2016
- Single-engine Private Pilot FAA 1978
- Phi Kappa Phi Other September, 2016
- International Development Minor Committee/Council Member March, 2011
- NRPA Student Quiz Bowl Other March, 2015 - September, 2015
- Therapeutic Recreation Journal Editor, Associate Editor August, 2010
- Association of Experiential Education Committee/Council Chair November, 2011 - October, 2014
- Phi Kappa Phi Committee/Council Member November, 2010 - 2013
- Personality and Performance: An examination of relationships between personality & performance among adventure therapy field guides. - Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare Council - Wilderness Therapy Symposium - 2015
- Europe Emerging Adults in the Context of Free Time and Leisure - ALS - National Recreation and Parks Association Annual Conference - 2014
- Exploring Group Cohesion in a Higher Education Field Experience - Academy of Leisure Sciences - 2014 Academy of Leisure Sciences Teaching Institute - 2014
- Female Veterans Involvement in Outdoor Sports and Recreation: A Theoretical Sample of the Identity Negotiating Model - University of Utah - This Land is Your Land Veterans Symposium - 2014
- The School-based Family: Coaches and Teachers as Parental Figures for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Ugandan Schools - World Leisure Organization - World Leisure Congress - 2014
- Life & Leadership Lessons Learned from Mt. Everest - BYU EMBA Program - EMBA Orientation Retreat - 2013
- Qualitative analysis of a corporate outdoor adventure learning program - National Recreation and Parks Administration - Leisure Research Symposium - 2012
- Qualitative Analysis of a Corporate Outdoor Adventure Learning Program. - National Recreation and Parks Association - Leisure Research Symposium - 2012
- Research Findings from an Adventure Recreation Lab - Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education - Research Symposium - 2012
- The school-based family: Coaches and teachers as parental figures for orphans and vulnerable children in Ugandan schools - National Recreation and Parks Administration - Leisure Research Symposium - 2012
- Contextual Antecedents of Identity Development in an Adventure Recreation Setting: A Qualitative Inquiry. - Association of Experiential Education - Symposium for Experiential Education Research - 2010
- Discovery of fun: Construct from perceptions of wilderness adventure experiences. - National Recreation and Parks Association - Leisure Research Symposium - 2010
- Fortifying leisure: A qualitative investigation of family leisure in Uganda - National Recreation and Parks Association - Leisure Research Symposium held in conjunction with the 2010 Annual National Recreation and Parks Association Conference - 2010
- Promoting character strength through adventure therapy - National Recreation and Parks Association - Leisure Research Symposium - 2010