Management, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Peter M. Madsen (Ph.D. UC Berkeley) is an associate professor of OBHR. His research focuses on organizational learning—particularly on how organizations and their members learn from failure and employee health and safety. Madsen also studies the interplay between safety, environmental, social, and financial goals in organizations. He has examined these issues in the aerospace, airline, automobile, healthcare, mining, and chemicals industries. This work has been published in top management and safety journals, including: Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Harvard Business Review, and Quality and Safety in Health Care. Madsen’s recearch has been awarded: Western Academy of Management Ascendent Scholar Award, Academy of Management Careers Division Best Paper, Western Academy of Management Best Paper, Academy of Management Best Paper Finalist, and Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence.
- Ph.D., Organizational Behavior and Industrial Relations, University of California, Berkeley, 2006
- "Organizational Learning from Failure: Present Theory and Future Inspirational Inquiries", The Oxford Handbook of Group and Organizational Learning, Oxford University Press.
- "Organizational Learning from Failure: Present Theory and Future Inspirational Inquiries", The Oxford Handbook of Group and Organizational Learning, Oxford University Press, 2018.
- "No Firm is an Island: The Role of Population-Level Actors in Organizational Learning from Failure", Organization Science, 2018.
- "Goal Conflicts in High-Reliability Organizations", From High Reliability to Reliable Organizing: A Handbook, Stanford University Press, 2017.
- "Organizational Learning and Reliability", From High Reliability to Reliable Organizing: A Handbook, Stanford University Press, 2017.
- "Airline Safety Improvement through Experience with Near-Misses: A Cautionary Tale", Risk Analysis, Volume 36(5), Pages 1054-1066, 2016.
- "Organizational Correctives for Improving Recognition of Near-Miss Events", Journal of Management, Volume 42(3), Pages 671-697, 2016.
- "Faster-Better-Cheaper Projects: Too Much Risk or Over-reaction to Perceived Failure?", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2015.
- "The first 50 years and the next 50 years of A Behavioral Theory of the Firm: An interview with James G. March.", Journal of Management Inquiry, 2015.
- "The Robust Beauty of “Little Ideas”: The Past and Future of “A Behavioral Theory of the Firm", Journal of Management Inquiry, 2015.
- "LOOKING GOOD BY DOING GOOD: THE ANTECEDENTS AND CONSEQUENCES OF STAKEHOLDER ATTENTION TO CORPORATE SOCIAL PERFORMANCE", Strategic Management Journal, 2015.
- "Do Socially Responsible Firms Pay their Executives More or Less? A Stakeholder Management Perspective on the Link between Social Performance and Executive Compensation", Business Ethics Quarterly, 2014.
- "Emerging Design Methods and Tools in Collaborative Product Development", Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, ASME, 2013.
- "Perils and profits: A re-examination of the link between profitability and safety in U.S. aviation", Journal of Management, 2013.
- "Preventing catastrophe by learning from near-misses", Harvard Business Review, 2011.
- "High Reliability Organizations (HROs) in Health Care", Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety, Second Edition, Pascal Carayon, 2011.
- "Failing to Learn? The Effects of Failure and Success on Organizational Learning in the Global Orbital Launch Vehicle Industry", Academy of Management Journal, Edition 3, Volume 53, Issue 3, Pages 451-476, 2010.
- "Does FDI Drive a "Race to the Bottom" in Environmental Regulation? A Reexamination Building on the Resource-based View", Academy of Management Journal, Volume 52, Pages 1297-1318, 2009.
- "These Lives will not be Lost in Vain: Organizational Learning from Direct and Vicarious Experience with Disasters and Minor Accidents in U.S. Coal Mining", Organization Science, Volume 20, Pages 861-875, 2009.
- "Employing Adaptive Structuring as a Cognitive Decision Aid in High Reliability Organizations", The Oxford Handbook of Organizational Decision Making, Oxford University Press, London, Gerard P. Hodgkinson and William H. Starbuck, 2008.
- "ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION AS A LINK BETWEEN CORPORATE ENVIRONMENTAL AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE", Academy of Management Meeting, Volume 2008, Pages 6, Academy of Management Proceedings, Philadelphia. PA, 2008.
- "THE ENDOGENEITY OF PUBLIC POLICY IN THE DYNAMICS OF ORGANIZATIONAL POPULATIONS", Academy of Management Proceedings, Volume 2008, 2008.
- "Organizational Sensemaking during Crisis", The International Handbook of Organizational Crisis Management, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, C. Pearson, C. Roxe-Dufort, and J. Claire, 2007.
- "Reliability Enhancement and Demise at Back Bay Medical Center's Children's Hospital", Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety, 2006.
- "Designing for high reliability: The birth and evolution of a pediatric intensive care unit", Organization Science, Volume 17, Pages 239-248, Institute of Management Sciences, Providence, R.I., 2006.
- "The Space Between in Space Transportation: A Relational Analysis of the Failure of STS 107", Organization at the Limit: Lessons from the Columbia Disaster, 2005.
- "Measuring Organizational Safety and Effectiveness at NASA", Engineering Management Journal, Volume 17, Pages 18-26, American Society for Engineering Management, 2005.
- Western Academy of Management Best Paper Award, Western Academy of Management, 2014
- Ascendent Scholar Award, Western Academy of Managemenet, 2013
- Academy of Management Journal Best Paper Finalist, Academy of Management Journal, 2010