Accountancy, School of
Office: 519 TNRB
Professor Thornock is an associate professor of accounting in the Marriott School of Management at BYU and holds the Robert Smith Fellowship. He recently joined BYU from the University of Washington, where he was a tenured associate professor of accounting and the PwC Faculty Fellow. At UW, he won numerous awards, including the Smith Award for excellence in research, and the Crockett Award and Fowler Award for educational innovation at UW. He also received a research prize from the Chicago Quantitative Alliance.
Jake has diverse research interests, including interest in taxation, tax havens, earnings information content and information technologies. His research has been accepted for publication at the Journal of Accounting & Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Contemporary Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, Management Science and Financial Management. Jake's research has been cited or featured in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Business Week, Bloomberg, Fox News, and NPR, and has been presented at the IRS, the SEC and a congressional subcommittee.
Professor Thornock completed his doctoral studies at Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina, where he was awarded the William Delozier Fellowship for Outstanding Doctoral Student. He earned his undergraduate and master's degrees in accounting at BYU. In practice, he worked as a financial advisor for a regional brokerage firm and as a tax accountant. He has also consulted for a large financial company and a small tech startup.
- PhD, Accounting, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2006
- BS, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2006
- "Changes in Corporate Effective Tax Rates Over the Past Twenty-Five Years", Journal of Financial Economics, Volume Forthcoming.
- "IRS Attention", Journal of Accounting Research, Volume Forthcoming.
- "The Comovement of Investor Attention", Management Science, Volume Forthcoming.
- "March Market Madness: The Impact of Value-Irrelevant Events on the Market Pricing of Earnings News", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 33, Issue 1, 2016.
- "The Usefulness of Historical Accounting Reports", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Edition 2-3, Volume 61, Issue 2-3, Pages 448-464, 2016.
- "Does Use Tax Evasion Provide a Competitive Advantage to E-tailers?", National Tax Journal, Volume 69, Pages 133-168, 2016.
- "The Determinants and Consequences of Information Acquisition via EDGAR", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 3, Volume 32, Issue 3, 2015.
- "Market (in)attention and the strategic scheduling and timing of earnings announcements", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Edition 1, Volume 60, Issue 1, Pages 36-55, 2015.
- "Taking the Long Way Home: U.S. Tax Evasion and Offshore Investments in U.S. Equity and Debt Markets", Journal of Finance, Edition 1, Volume 70, Issue 1, Pages 257-287, 2015.
- "Optimistic Reporting and Pessimistic Investing: Do Pro Forma Earnings Disclosures Attract Short Sellers?", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 31, Issue 1, Pages 67-102, 2014.
- "The reputational costs of tax avoidance", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 4, Volume 31, Issue 4, Pages 1103-1133, 2014.
- "Can short restrictions actually increase informed short selling?", Financial Management, Edition 1, Volume 42, Issue 1, Pages 155-181, 2013.
- "The effects of dividend taxation on short selling and market quality", The Accounting Review, Edition 5, Volume 88, Issue 5, Pages 1833-1856, 2013.
- "Exploring the Role that Delaware Plays as a Domestic Tax Haven", Journal of Financial Economics, Edition 3, Volume 108, Issue 3, Pages 751-772, 2013.
- "The information content of annual earnings announcements and mandatory adoption of IFRS", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Edition 1-2, Volume 53, Issue 1-2, Pages 34–54, 2012.
- "Investor Information Demand: Evidence from Google Searches around Earnings Announcements", Journal of Accounting Research, Edition 4, Volume 50, Issue 4, 2012.
- Associate Professor of Accounting (with tenure), University of Washington 2014 - 2016
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, University of Washington 2010 - 2014
- Andrew V. Smith Award for Excellence in Research , University of Washington , 2015
- National Service Award , AAA, Financial Accounting and Reporting Section , 2015
- Ron Crockett Award for Innovation in Education , University of Washington , 2014
- Fowler Award for Special Achievement in Accounting , University of Washington , 2013
- Outstanding PhD Mentor in Accounting , University of Washington , 2013
- Third Prize, Annual Academic Competition , Chicago Quantitative Alliance , 2012
- Delozier Award for Outstanding Doctoral Student , University of North Carolina , 2010
- Contemporary Accounting Research Editorial Review Board Member 2017
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Section, AAA, Board Member July, 2015
- American Taxation Association, Board Member July, 2014
- The Accounting Review, Editorial Review Board Member July, 2014