Daniel Snow (On Leave)
Marketing & Global Supply Chain, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Professor Snow is an Associate Professor at Oxford University's Saïd Business School. He also holds a Fellowship and Lectureship at Oxford University's Exeter College. He was an Associate Professor at the Marriott School in from 2010-2018. He was a chaired Assistant Professor at the Harvard Business School from 2004-2010, where he taught the core MBA course in Technology and Operations Management, and he co-developed and taught the Operations Strategy elective course. He was a lecturer at Wharton in 2010-2011 and has been a Visiting Lecturer at Oxford University, a Visiting Professor Dartmouth University's Tuck School, and a Visiting Professor at Harvard Business School. He has taught in executive education programs at HBS, including Building Competitive Advantage through Operations (BCAO), Leading Product Innovation (LPI), and Senior Executive Program, China (SEPC). He has also taught executive education programs at UCLA, Tsinghua University, Chalmers University, University of Xiamen, Universidad de La Sabana (Bogotá), and many others.
Professor Snow's research addresses two areas. The first seeks to improve our understanding of technological innovation, and specifically of the complex relationship between new and old technologies that exists during technology transitions.
His second area of research is in Service Operations—both in the building of theoretical microfoundations to help define the field, and in empirical research on the impact of IT on service employee productivity.
He holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and an MBA from BYU's Marriott School of Management. He has worked for Ford Motor Company as a financial analyst, and he advises firms facing decisions about Research and Development, technology transitions, and the issues associated with new technology adoption. He serves on the Boards of Directors of Ceramic Process Systems (NASDAQ: CPS-H) and the South Region of Intermountain Healthcare.
- PhD, , University of California at Berkeley, 2004
- MBA, , Brigham Young University, 1998
- BA, , Brigham Young University, 1996
- CSCMP - Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals 2011
- Academy of Management 2004
- Strategic Management Society 2004
- "Cleaning House: The Impact of Information Technology on Employee Corruption and Performance", .
- "The Determinants of Service Employee Corruption", .
- "The Prius Approach: How hybrid technologies help companies survive disruption and shape the future.", Harvard Business Review, Edition 11, Volume 93, Issue 11, Pages 103-109, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA, 2015.
- ""Old" technology responses to dominant technological threats: Demand heterogeneity and graceful technology retreats", Industrial and Corporate Change, Edition 5, Volume 19, Issue 5, Pages 1655-1675, 2010.
- "Bold retreat: A new strategy for old technologies", Harvard Business Review, Pages 76-81, 2010.
- "A detailed analysis of the reduction mammaplasty learning curve: A statistical process model for approaching surgical performance improvement", Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Pages 706-14, 2009.
- "Cold War Spies: Why They Spied and How They Got Caught", Intelligence and National Security: An Anthology, Oxford University Press, New York, 2008.
- "Beware of Old Technologies’ Last Gasps", Harvard Business Review, Edition 1, Volume 86, Issue 1, 2008.
- "Cold War Spies: Why They Spied and How They Got Caught", Intelligence and National Security, Edition 2, Volume 12, Issue 2, Pages 101-125, 1997.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Lecturer, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania 2010 - 2011
- Assistant Professor, Harvard Business School 2004 - 2010
- Best Paper Honorable Mention POMS college of Service Operations , 2011
- Finalist, Bateman Faculty Award, BYU Marriott School , 2011
- Outstanding Teacher award, BYU Business Management Dept. , 2011
- QUIS Highly Commended Paper Award , 2011
- Lumry Family Chaired Assistant Professorship , Harvard Business School , 2007
- Best Paper Proceedings , Academy of Management
- Associate Director — 2016
- MBA Admissions Committee/Council Member December, 2011
- MBA Curriculum Committee Committee/Council Member December, 2011
- Intermountain Healthcare South Region Board Member July, 2015
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals Committee/Council Member January, 2012
- Ceramic Process Systems (CPS-H) — Member of Board of Directors, Chair of Compensation Committee May, 2007