AIS serves society through the advancement of knowledge and the promotion of excellence in the practice and study of information systems and is the premier professional association for individuals and organizations who lead the research, teaching, practice, and study of information systems worldwide.
AIS seeks to serve its members by promoting and developing information systems-related skills, career exploration, and dynamic relationships with professionals, recruiters, and students. BYU founded a local student chapter of AIS in 1993 in order to further this mission. Some of the benefits of AIS include:
- Information sessions and other activities with employers that give a close-up look into what it is like to work at top IS companies
- Access to opening and closing socials and mid-semester activities
- Value-added forums to learn new technologies from industry professionals as well as information systems program peers
- Participation in WAIS, a section of AIS just for women
- A lifetime membership after paying a one-time fee