Accountancy, School of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Michael Drake is an Associate Professor of Accounting and Distinguished PwC Fellow in the School of Accountancy at Brigham Young University. He earned bachelors and masters degrees in accounting at BYU and his doctorate in accounting at Texas A&M University. Prior to joining the Marriott School in 2011, he was on faculty at the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University. Before that, he worked as an auditor for Arthur Andersen and Ernst & Young.
Michael currently teaches the core financial reporting course in the MBA and eMBA programs, financial statement analysis in the Masters of Accountancy program, and an empirical research seminar to pre-doctoral students.
Michael's research is focused on understanding how financial information impacts capital markets and has been published in various top-tier academic journals including the Journal of Accounting Research, the Journal of Accounting and Economics, The Accounting Review, and Management Science.
- Ph.D. in Accounting, Accounting, Texas A&M University, 2009
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2003
- "The Comovement of Investor Attention", Management Science, Volume Forthcoming.
- "The internet as an information intermediary", Review of Accounting Studies, Volume Forthcoming.
- "March Market Madness: The Impact of Value-Irrelevant Events on the Market Pricing of Earnings News", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 33, Issue 1, 2016.
- "The Usefulness of Historical Accounting Reports", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Edition 2-3, Volume 61, Issue 2-3, Pages 448-464, 2016.
- "Acquirer Valuation and Acquisition Decisions: Identifying Mispricing using Short Interest", Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Edition 1/2, Volume 50, Issue 1/2, 2015.
- "Short Sellers and the Informativeness of Stock Prices with Respect to Future Earnings", Review of Accounting Studies, Edition 2, Volume 20, Issue 2, 2015.
- "The Determinants and Consequences of Information Acquisition via EDGAR", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 3, Volume 32, Issue 3, 2015.
- "Optimistic Reporting and Pessimistic Investing: Do Pro Forma Earnings Disclosures Attract Short Sellers?", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 1, Volume 31, Issue 1, Pages 67-102, 2014.
- "The Media and Mispricing: The Role of the Business Press in the Pricing of Accounting Information", The Accounting Review, Edition 5, Volume 89, Issue 5, 2014.
- "A re-examination of analysts' superiority over time-series forecasts of annual earnings", Review of Accounting Studies, Edition 4, Volume 17, Issue 4, 2012.
- "Tax System Characteristics, CEO Incentives, and Corporate Tax Avoidance: International Evidence", The Accounting Review, Edition 6, Volume 87, Issue 6, 2012.
- "Investor Information Demand: Evidence from Google Searches around Earnings Announcements", Journal of Accounting Research, Edition 4, Volume 50, Issue 4, 2012.
- "Short interest as a signal of audit risk", Contemporary Accounting Research, Edition 4, Volume 28, Issue 4, Pages 1278 - 1297, 2011.
- "Should investors follow the prophets or the bears? Evidence on the use of public information by analysts and short sellers", The Accounting Review, Edition 1, Volume 86, Issue 1, 2011.
- "Analysts' accrual-related over-optimism: do analyst characteristics play a role?", Review of Accounting Studies, Volume 16, Pages 59 - 88, 2011.
- "Book-tax conformity, earnings persistence, and the association between earnings and future cash flows", Journal of Accounting and Economics, Volume 50, Pages 111-125, 2010.
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, The Ohio State University 2009 - 2011
- Auditor, Ernst & Young 2003 - 2005
- MBA Core Professor of the Year , Marriott School of Management, MBA students , 2017
- BYU Young Scholar Award , 2016
- Marriott School of Management Scholarly Excellence Award , Marriott School of Management , 2016
- Ethics Teaching Award , Marriott School of Management , 2015
- PwC Fellowship , 2013
- Dean's Award for Outstanding Research by a Doctoral Student , Mays Business School at Texas A&M University , 2009
- Deloitte Foundation Doctoral Fellowship , Deloitte Foundation , 2007
Certificates and Licenses
- Certified Public Accountant