Management, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
W. Chad Carlos is an Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at Brigham Young University. His research focuses on issues related to entrepreneurship and non-market strategy in contexts such as health care, sustainability, and university technology commercialization and has been published in top management journals including Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, and Organization Science. Professor Carlos has taught courses on entrepreneurship and innovation to students and executives in countries around the globe including the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and Latin America.
Professor Carlos earned his PhD in management and organizations from Cornell University. Prior to his academic career, he was a certified public accountant and a senior consultant with KPMG in their Silicon Valley office. In this capacity, he specialized in helping technology clients such as Google, Hitachi, Palm, and Cypress Semiconductor mitigate financial risk and improve operational performance.
- Ph.D., Management & Organizations, Cornell University, 2013
- Master of Science, , Cornell University, 2010
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, , Brigham Young University, 2003
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2003
- "Gone With the Wind: The Evolving Influence of Social Movements and Counter Movements on Entrepreneurial Activity in Sustainable Markets", Advances in Strategic Management, Emerald Insight, Sinziana Dorobantu, Ruth Aguilera, Jiao Luo, Frances Milliken.
- "The Risk of Being Ranked: Investor Response to Marginal Inclusion on the 100 Best Corporate Citizens List", Strategic Management Journal, Volume Forthcoming.
- "Manu Militari: The institutional contingencies of stakeholder relationships on entrepreneurial performance", Organization Science, Volume 29, Issue 4, Pages 633-652, 2018.
- "From Farms to Fuel Tanks: Stakeholder Framing Contests and Entrepreneurship in the Emergent U.S. Biodiesel Market", Strategic Management Journal, Volume 40, Issue 6, Pages 865-893, 2018.
- "Strategic silence: Withholding certification status as a hypocrisy avoidance tactic", Administrative Science Quarterly, Volume 63, Issue 1, Pages 130-169, 2018.
- "Entrepreneurs and the strategic communication of socially responsible activities", Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility, Nanjing University Press, Joel Glassman, Masato Kimura, Ki Hyoung Sohn, Shuming Zhao, 2018.
- Senior Consultant-Silicon Valley, KPMG 2002 - 2006
- Emerging Scholar Award, Academy of Management-Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2019
- Best Published Article Award, International Association for Business & Society, 2018
- Outstanding Paper Award, Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability, 2016
- Best Paper Award; Academy of Management--Organizations & The Natural Environment Division, Academy of Management Conference, 2015
- Kauffman Dissertation Fellowship, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation