Professor, Graduate Coordinator,Download Vita
Experience Design & Management, Department of
Experience Design & Management, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
- Ph.D., LEISURE STUDIES/THERAPEUTIC RECREATION, UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, 1993
- Academy of Management 2016
- "Leisure at work and employee flourishing", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 3-5, Volume 49, Issue 3-5, Pages 311-332, 2018.
- "Why people play at work: A theoretical examination of leisure-at-work", Leisure Sciences, Edition 6, Volume 40, Issue 6, Pages 634-648, 2018.
- "Issues and adventures in evaluation and outcome research", Professional issues in therapeutic recreation: On competence and outcomes, Pages pp. 529–542, Sagamore, N. Stumbo, B. Wolfe, & S. Pegg, 2017.
- "Perspectives: Why every corporation should hire a TRS.", Professional issues in therapeutic recreation: On competence and outcomes, Pages 101–112, Sagamore, Urbana, IL, N. Stumbo, B. Wolfe, & S. Pegg, 2017.
- "Why People play at work: A theoretical examination of leisure-at-work", Leisure Sciences, Pages 15, Routledge, NY, New York, 2017.
- "Family Therapy in Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare: Current Practices and Future Possibilities", Journal of Contemporary Family Therapy, Pages 11, Springer, 2016.
- "Development of a Response to Stress Questionnaire for Outdoor Adventure", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume XLIX, Issue 1, Pages 18-34, Sagamore, Urbana, IL, 2015.
- "Fortifying leisure: Adolescent perspectives of family leisure in Uganda", Journal of Adolescent Research, Edition 6, Volume 30, Issue 6, Pages 729-750, SAGE, 2015.
- "Challenges in Business Ethics Research", Research Companion to Ethical Behavior in Organizations: Constructs and Measures, Edward Elgar, Northampton, MA, Bradley R. Agle, David W. Hart, Jeffery A. Thompson, and Hilary M. Hendricks,, 2014.
- "Increasing and Generalizing Self-Efficacy: The effects of adventure recreation on the academic efficacy of early adolescents", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 2, Volume 47, Issue 2, Pages 165-183, Sagamore, Urbana, IL, 2014.
- "The diversity of therapeutic recreation: Application of TR in corporate world of business", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 47, Issue 1, Pages 1-12, National Recreation and Parks Association, 2013.
- "Theories of the Good Life", Encyclopedia of quality of life research, Springer, New York, A.C. Michalos, 2013.
- "Antecedents of identity development in a structured recreation setting: A qualitative inquiry", Journal of Adolescent Research, Edition 2, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 183-202, 2012.
- "Wholesome Family Recreation: Building Strong Families", Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives, BYU Press/Deseret Book, Salt Lake City, UT, Hawkins & dollahite, 2011.
- "Positive youth development: What it is and how it fits in therapeutic settings.", Journal of Therapeutic Schools and Programs, Edition 1, Volume 4, Issue 1, Pages 118-133, 2010.
- "Adventures in identity development: The impact of a two-week adventure program on adolescent identity development", Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, Edition 4, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 341-359, 2009.
- "The attributes of effective field staff in wilderness programs: Changing youths' perspectives of being "cool"", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 43, Issue 1, Pages 11-26, 2009.
- "Contributions of Family leisure to family functioning among families that include children with developmental disabilities.", Journal of Leisure Research, Volume 41, Pages 261-286, 2009.
- "Methods for outcome research in therapeutic recreation", Professional issues in therapeutic recreation: Ensuring our worth, Proving our value, Sagamore, Champaign, IL, Norma J. Stumbo, 2009.
- "Tort Liability Considerations for Therapeutic Recreation Professionals", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Volume 42, Pages 163-171, National Therapeutic Recreation Society, Ashburn, VA, 2008.
- "Grubs and Grasshoppers: The Influence of Challenging Recreation on the Collective Efficacy of Families with At-Risk Youth", Family Relations, Volume 53, Pages 326-333, 2004.
- Outstanding Alumni , Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, University of Utah , 2016
- Annual Faculty Research Award , College of Health and Human Performance , 1999
Certificates and Licenses
- Therapeutic Recreation Specialist State of Utah 1989
- Level I Ski Instructor PSIA 2004
- Wilderness First Responder Wilderness Medicine Institute 2005
- University Academic Unit Review Committee/Council Member July, 2017
- Graduate Coordinator Graduate Coordinator August, 2015
- RECM Rank and Status Committee Committee/Council Chair August, 2015
- Therapeutic Recreation Journal Editorial Review Board Member January, 1996 - December, 2011
- JLR Editorial Review Board Member January, 2006 - December, 2010