Accountancy, School of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Jeff is the Director and EY Professor at Brigham Young University's School of Accountancy. Since 2000, he has taught financial reporting, applying both U.S. GAAP and IFRS to revenue recognition transactions, consolidation of variable-interest entities, transfers of financial assets, and fair-value measurement. He is the recipient of the 2011 Marriott School Teaching Excellence Award, the 2016 UACPA Outstanding Utah Educator Award, and the 2017 Marriott School Outstanding Citizenship Award.
Jeff's research examines financial reporting policies, revenue recognition, auditing fair-value measurements, and fraud detection. He has published in The Accounting Review; Review of Accounting Studies; Contemporary Accounting Research; Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory; and Management Science. Jeff is also the founder and faculty advisor of RevenueHub, which has published over 70 articles on ASC Topic 606, Revenue Recognition.
From 2006 to 2009, Jeff was an academic fellow at the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and a technical consultant to the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB). He managed the revenue recognition project, co-authored over 50 research memos, and led board deliberations on these memos. He also co-authored the 2008 FASB/IASB Discussion Paper on Revenue Recognition that formed the foundation of the new international revenue recognition standard issued in May 2014.
While at the FASB, Jeff also served as a practice lead on two EITF projects that were later codified as Accounting Standards Updates 2009-13 (Multiple-Deliverable Revenue Arrangements) and 2009-14 (Certain Revenue Arrangements That Include Software Elements). These standards led to significant changes in revenue recognition policies for technology companies like Apple and Cisco.
Since returning to BYU, Jeff has served as a technical advisor to Connor Group, which provides GAAP review and SEC reporting guidance to firms preparing for IPO. He has advised clients on matters such as revenue recognition for digital goods, residential solar leasing arrangements, and pharmaceutical licensing and milestone arrangements. He has also served as a consulting expert for the Securities and Exchange Commission and various public companies. Jeff served as a member of the FASB's Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Council from 2014-2017 and the AICPA's Revenue Recognition Task Force from 2016-2017.
- Ph.D., Accounting, Cornell University, 2000
- M.S., Accounting, Cornell University, 1999
- B.S., Accounting, Brigham Young University, 1995
- Financial Executives International - Financial Executives International is a network of more than 10,000 best-in-business financial professionals with more than 65 local Chapters globally. 2018
- "The effects of out-of-regime guidance on auditor judgments about appropriate application of accounting standards", Contemporary Accounting Research, 2017.
- "A Synthesis of Three Commentaries on Measurement and Performance Reporting", Accounting Horizons, Edition 4, Volume 30, Issue 4, American Accounting Association, Saratoga Springs, Florida, 2016.
- "The earnings quality and information processing effects of accounting consistency", The Accounting Review, Edition 6, Volume 90, Issue 6, Pages 2483-2514, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, Florida, Charles M.C. Lee, 2015.
- "How Auditor Legal Liability Influences the Detection and Frequency of Fraudulent Financial Reporting", Current Issues in Auditing, Edition 2, Volume 7, Issue 2, 2013.
- "Accounting faculty experiences with practice-oriented fellowships", Accounting Horizons, Edition 2, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 229-247, American Accounting Association, Saratoga Springs, Florida, Dana Hermanson and Terry Shevlin, 2013.
- "Using Professional Judgment in Auditing: McGladrey’s Framework", McGladrey, 2012.
- "Accounting for lease renewal options: The informational effects of unit of account choices", The Accounting Review, Edition 1, Volume 87, Issue 1, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, Florida, Steve Kachelmeier, 2012.
- "A Perspective on the Joint IASB/FASB Exposure Draft on Accounting for Leases", Accounting Horizons, Edition 4, Volume 25, Issue 4, Pages 861-871, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, Florida, Dana R. Hermanson and Terry Shevlin, 2011.
- "The Impact of Audit Penalty Distributions on the Detection and Frequency of Fraudulent Reporting", Review of Accounting Studies, Edition 4, Volume 16, Issue 4, Pages 843-865, 2011.
- "Reconsidering Revenue Recognition", Accounting Horizons, Volume 23, Pages 55-68, American Accounting Association, Saratoga, Florida, 2009.
- "Preliminary Views on Revenue Recognition in Contracts with Customers", Preliminary Views on Revenue Recognition in Contracts with Customers, IASB and FASB, London, U.K., and Norwalk, CT, 2008.
- "Why Do Auditors Over-rely on Weak Analytical Procedures? The Role of Outcome and Precision", Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Volume 25, American Accounting Association, 2006.
- "Auditing Fair Value Measurements: A Synthesis of Relevant Research", Accounting Horizons, Volume 20, Pages 287-303, American Accounting Association, Saratoga, Florida, 2006.
- "Decomposition of Fraud Risk Assessments and Auditors' Sensitivity to Fraud Cues", Contemporary Accounting Research, Volume 21, Pages 719-745, 2004.
- "Using Game Theory and Strategic Reasoning Concepts to Prevent and Detect Fraud", Accounting Horizons, Volume 18, Pages 173-184, 2004.
- "Predecisional distortion of evidence as a consequence of real-time audit review.", The Accounting Review, Volume 77, Pages 51-71, 2002.
- "Disclosure effects in the laboratory: Liquidity, depth, and the cost of capital", The Accounting Review, Volume 75, Pages 13-41, 2000.
- "Predecisional distortion of information by auditors and salespersons", Management Science, Volume 46, Pages 13-27, 2000.
- Academic Advisor / Technical Consultant, International Accounting Standards Board 2008 - 2009
- Project Manager - Revenue Recognition, Financial Accounting Standards Board 2006 - 2008
- 2017 Marriott School Outstanding Citizenship Award , BYU Marriott School , 2017
- 2011 Marriott School Outstanding Teaching Award , BYU Marriott School , 2011
- Kristine V. Vest Fellowship , Marriott School , 2003
- Outstanding Dissertation Award , Auditing Section, American Accounting Association , 2002
- Doctoral Fellowship Award , Deloitte & Touche Foundation , 1998
- Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Council Committee/Council Member January, 2014 - December, 2017
- AICPA Revenue Recognition Task Force Committee/Council Member June, 2014 - June, 2016
- FASB Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Council (FASAC) — The council advises the FASB on standard setting priorities and emerging issues. It meets quarterly. January, 2014 - December, 2017