School of Accountancy
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Jeff is the EY Professor and former director of BYU’s School of Accountancy. He served as an academic fellow at the FASB and a technical consultant to the IASB, where he managed the revenue recognition project, co-authored over 50 research memos, and led board deliberations on these memos. He also co-authored the 2008 FASB/IASB Discussion Paper on Revenue Recognition, which formed the foundation of ASC Topic 606.
Jeff served as a technical advisor to Connor Group, providing GAAP review and SEC reporting guidance to firms preparing for IPO. He has served as a consulting expert for the Securities and Exchange Commission and an expert witness in various high-profile cases. Jeff served as a member of the FASB’s Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Council from 2014-2017 and the AICPA’s Revenue Recognition Task Force from 2016-2017. He is a member of Deloitte’s Center for Controllership and currently serves on the audit committees of Beneficial Life Insurance Company and Deseret Management Corporation.
Jeff has published in The Accounting Review; Review of Accounting Studies; Contemporary Accounting Research; Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory; Accounting Horizons, and Management Science. He is the incoming Co-Senior Editor of Accounting Horizons, a journal focused on solving real-world practice problems. Jeff is also the founder of RevenueHub®, which has published over 90 articles on ASC Topic 606, Revenue Recognition, and has over 20,000 monthly readers.
- Ph.D., Accounting, Cornell University, 2000
- M.S., Accounting, Cornell University, 1999
- B.S., Accounting, Brigham Young University, 1995
- Financial Executives International — 2018
- National Association of Corporate Directors — 2018–2020
- Academic Advisor / Technical Consultant, International Accounting Standards Board, 2008–2009
- Project Manager - Revenue Recognition, Financial Accounting Standards Board, 2006–2008
- 2017 Marriott School Outstanding Citizenship Award, BYU Marriott School, 2017
- 2016 Outstanding Educator Award, Utah Assoc. of CPAs (UACPA), 2016
- EY Professorship, EY, 2013
- 2011 Marriott School Outstanding Teaching Award, BYU Marriott School, 2011
- Kristine V. Vest Fellowship, Marriott School, 2003
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, Auditing Section, American Accounting Association, 2002
- Doctoral Fellowship Award, Deloitte & Touche Foundation, 1998