Public Service and Ethics, Romney Institute of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Brad Agle is the George W. Romney Endowed Professor, and Professor of Ethics and Leadership in the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University (BYU). He also serves as a Fellow, and Chair of the Ethics Initiative in the Wheatley Institution at BYU; as Chair of the biennial Teaching Ethics in Universities conference; as Past President of the International Association for Business and Society; on the editorial board of Business Ethics Quarterly; and on the Advisory Board of RLG Group.
Previous to his appointment at BYU in 2009, he spent 17 years as a professor of Strategy, Organizations, and Environment in the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh, where he also served for eight years as the inaugural director of the David Berg Center for Ethics and Leadership. During his time in Pittsburgh, he also served on the Board of Directors of the Oncology Nursing Society, the Executive Committee of the Social Issues in Management Division of the Academy of Management, the Executive Board of the International Association for Business and Society, as a Senior Research Fellow with the Ethics Resource Center in Washington, D.C., as Co-chair of the Pittsburgh Business Ethics Award, and as a judge for the American Business Ethics Awards. Earlier in his career he was the Andersen Fellow for Chief Executive Studies and Research Director at the Center for Leadership and Career Studies at Emory University (currently the Chief Executive Leadership Institute at Yale).
Dr. Agle is an active researcher concentrating on business ethics, stakeholder management, CEO leadership and religious influences on business. His writings appear in journals such as the Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Business Ethics Quarterly, Journal of Business Ethics, Business and Society, Harvard Business Review, Human Relations, Sloan Management Review, Leadership Quarterly, and Organizational Dynamics. His work has been featured in various media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, USA Today, and CNN; and he has been a guest on CNBC’s “Morning Call”, “Power Lunch”, and “Closing Bell”. His publication awards include the Best Article award from the International Association for Business and Society, and the ANBAR citation of excellence. His 1997 article on stakeholder management has been found to be the most heavily cited article in the field of corporate social responsibility.
A recipient of multiple teaching awards, including Distinguished Professor of the Year honors, Dr. Agle teaches courses in business ethics and strategic leadership, and he has taught in Brazil, China, Britain, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia. His teaching brought the University of Pittsburgh the distinction of being the #2 ranked executive MBA program in the world in business ethics by Business Week. In the undergraduate area, Dr. Agle created the Certificate Program in Leadership and Ethics, the world’s first integrated undergraduate specialty in ethical leadership in business. He has provided board training, executive level seminars, and top executive consulting to organizations including Alcoa, Ceska Sporitelna, Federated Investors, Giant Eagle, Mellon Financial, Marathon Petroleum, St. Clair Hospital, US Steel, U.S. Marine Corps, and Wabtec. He has also served as an expert witness on business ethics. In 2005 he was honored by the Pittsburgh Business Times with their Fast Tracker award as one of the young people making significant contributions to his/her profession and community. His community involvement included service with the Woodlands Foundation, Boy Scouts, and as Bishop of the Cranberry Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Dr. Agle received a Ph.D. in Business Management from the University of Washington and a B.S. in Information Management from BYU. Prior to his academic career, he worked for Seattle First National Bank and IBM. In 2014 he published the book “Research Companion to Behavioral Ethics in Organizations: Constructs and Measures.” In 2016 he published the book "The Business Ethics Field Guide." Brad and his wife Kristi are the parents of Erik, Lindsay, Christian, and Amanda.
- PhD, Organization & Environment, University of Washington, 1993
- B.S., Information Management, Brigham Young University, 1986
- Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics - Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE) is a 501(c)(6) member-based association for regulatory compliance professionals. 2017
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics - The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE) is a comprehensive, international organization advancing scholarship, education, and practice in practical and professional ethics. 2016
- Ethics and Compliance Initiative - ECI is devoted to the advancement of high ethical standards and practices in public and private institutions, and provides research about ethical standards, workplace integrity, and compliance practices and processes 2015
- International Society for Business Ethics and Economics - The first world-wide professional association to focus exclusively on the study of business, economics, and ethics. 2008
- Society for Business Ethics - Primary professional association for professors of business ethics 1993
- International Association for Business and Society - Primary professional association for professors in the field of business and society 1990
- Academy of Management - Primary professional organization for professors of management 1989
- "BUSINESS ETHICS EDUCATION, WHY BOTHER? OBJECTIVES, PEDAGOGIES, AND A CALL TO ACTION", Proceedings of Leveraging Change - The New Pillars of Academic Education.
- "Business Ethics Education: Current Approaches and Future Directions", Routledge Companion to Business Ethics, Routledge, Eugene Heath, Byron Kaldis, Alexei Marcoux.
- "Value Congruence and Charismatic Leadership in CEO - Top-Manager Relationships: An Empirical Analysis", Journal of Business Ethics.
- "Stakeholder Identification and Salience After 20 Years: Progress, Problems, and Prospects.", Business and Society, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, Andrew Crane, Irene Henriques, Bryan Husted, and Dirk Matten, 2018.
- "Stakeholder Agency and Social Welfare: Pluralism and Decision Making in the Multi-Objective Corporation.", Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management, 2016.
- "The Business Ethics Field Guide", Pages 340, Allegory Press, Provo, UT, 2016.
- "Research Companion to Behavioral Ethics in Organizations: Constructs and Measures", Pages 420, Edward Elgar Publishing Inc, Cheltenham, 2014.
- "The Importance of Understanding the Students in Our Business Ethics Classes.", Journal of Business Ethics Education, Volume 9, Pages 469-472, 2013.
- "Mortal Ministry: Seeking After Virtue in Business", Virtue and the Abundant Life, Pages 240-259, Deseret Book/Wheatley Institution, Salt Lake City, UT, Lloyd Newell, Richard Williams, Emily Reynolds, Terry Olsen, 2012.
- "The Impact of Moral Stress Compared to Other Stressors on Employee Fatigue, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover: An Empirical Investigtion", Journal of Business Ethics, Volume 110, Issue 3, Pages 377-391, Springer, 2012.
- "“He’s a real dude:” Tributes to Tom Jones", Business and Society, Volume 51, Issue 2, Pages 310-334, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA, 2012.
- "Meeting the Objectives of Business Ethics Education Utilizing the Complete Collegiate Educational Experience", Management Education for Integrity, Pages 217-242, Emerald, Charles Wankel, 2011.
- "Toward a theory of stakeholder salience in family firms", Business Ethics Quarterly, Volume 21, Issue 2, Pages 235-256, Gary Weaver, 2011.
- "Dialogue: Toward Superior Stakeholder Theory", Business Ethics Quarterly, Volume 18, 2008.
- "Relational Ties that Bind: Leader-Follower Relationship Dimensions and Charismatic Attribution", Leadership Quarterly, Volume 19, Pages 556-568, 2008.
- "Improving the Performance of Top Management Teams", Sloan Management Review, Volume 48, Pages 85-90, 2007.
- "Does CEO Charisma Matter? An Empirical Analysis of the Relationships Among Organizational Performance, Environmental Uncertainty, and Top Management Team Perceptions of Charisma", Academy of Management Journal, Volume 49, Pages 161-174, 2006.
- "Examining the Impact of Organizational Dissimilarity in Top Management Teams", Journal of Managerial Issues, Volume 19, Pages 11-34, 2006.
- "Mapping our Progress: Comparing the Development of Universities' Ethics Infrastructures to those of Businesses", Journal of Academic Ethics, Volume 3, Pages 205-229, 2005.
- "Somebody I Look Up To: Ethical Role Models in Organizations", Organizational Dynamics, Volume 34, Pages 313-330, 2005.
- "Religiosity as an Influence on Ethical Behavior in Organizations: A Theoretical Model and Research Agenda", Academy of Management Review, Volume 27, Pages 77-97, 2002.
- "The Relationship Between Financial and Social Performance: Repainting a Portrait", Business and Society, Volume 38, Pages 109-125, 1999.
- "Understanding Research on Values in Business: A Level of Analysis Framework", Business and Society, Volume 38, Pages 326-387, 1999.
- "Who Matters to CEOs? An Investigation of Stakeholder Attributes and Salience, Corporate Performance, and CEO Values", Academy of Management Journal, Volume 42, Pages 507-525, 1999.
- "Toward a Theory of Stakeholder Identification and Salience: Defining the Principle of Who and What Really Counts", Academy of Management Review, Volume 22, Pages 853-886, 1997.
- Associate Professor, University of Pittsburgh 2000 - 2009
- Director of the David Berg Center for Ethics and Leadership, University of Pittsburgh 2000 - 2007
- Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh 1994 - 2000
- Instructor, University of Pittsburgh 1992 - 1994
- Research Director & Instructor, Chief Executive Leadership Institute, Emory University 1990 - 1992
- Best Article Award, International Association for Business and Society, 2018
- Finalist for Best Book Award, Social Issues in Management Division of the Academy of Management, 2016
- Fellow, Wheatley Institution, 2009
- George W. Romney Endowed Professorship, Brigham Young University, 2009
- Best Article Award, International Association for Business and Society
- Distinguished Professor of the Year, University of Pittsburgh EMBA program - Sao Paulo
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh, EMBA program, Undergraduate Program
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh, EMBA program
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh, EMBA program
- Fast Trackers - Young people making significant professional and community contributions, Pittsburgh Business Times
- Outstanding Citizenship Award, Marriott School of Management
- Promotion and CFS Committee Committee/Council Chair July, 2015
- University Honor Code Advisory Committee Committee/Council Member September, 2011
- Ethics Strategy and Integration in the Marriott School Other July, 2009
- Ethics Initiative in the Wheatley Institution Committee/Council Chair January, 2009
- Faculty Advisory Council Committee/Council Member September, 2015 - May, 2018
- Mentoring New Faculty Mentor March, 2010 - December, 2016
- Pre-PhD Student Organization Student Org Advisor January, 2010 - October, 2015
- Promotion and CFS Committee Committee/Council Member September, 2012 - September, 2015
- MBA Committee Committee/Council Member September, 2009 - August, 2013
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics Conference-Related Role February, 2017
- Business Ethics Quarterly Editorial Review Board Member November, 2015
- Society for Business Ethics Conference-Related Role August, 2014
- Academy of Management Conference-Related Role August, 2010
- Society for Business Ethics and the Wheatley Institution Officer (specify in Other) July, 2009
- Academy of Management Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2009
- International Association for Business and Society Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2009
- Strategic Management Society Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer January, 2009
- International Association for Business and Society Officer March, 2014 - March, 2019
- International Association for Business and Society Officer (specify in Other) June, 2017 - June, 2018
- USA Synchro Committee/Council Member May, 2011 - March, 2018
- Brigham Young University and Notre Dame University Other January, 2011 - November, 2013
- Invited Conference on Stakeholder Theory Other September, 2009 - December, 2010
- Society for Business Ethics Other January, 2009 - December, 2010
- National Filter Media — Provide ethics training for sales professionals across the company June, 2018 - June, 2018
- Thorpe, North & Western — Provided services as an expert witness in a lawsuit October, 2016 - December, 2017
- Qualtrics — Provided a training session on executive leadership to visiting speakers at their annual customer forum November, 2017 - November, 2017
- Marathon Petroleum — Provided ethics training for the ethics and compliance officers and liaisons at Marathon Petroleum October, 2017 - October, 2017
- Squires Accounting — Providing Ethics Training for professionals in a regional accounting firm December, 2010 - January, 2017
- Anderson/Kidman — Expert Witness in Business Ethics September, 2013 - March, 2014
- Parr, Brown, Gee & Loveless — Expert Witness Work in Business Ethics October, 2012 - May, 2013