Experience Design & Management, Department of
To view contact information, verify you are human below:
Mat is an Associate Professor of Experience Design and Management at Brigham Young University. His teaching focuses on experience design and design thinking. His research focuses on experience design in both work and non-work contexts. Mat’s publications have appeared in a variety of journals including Leisure Sciences, Journal of Environmental Psychology, Journal of Adolescent Research and Journal of Leisure Research. Mat Duerden received a Ph.D. in Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences from Texas A&M University and a M.S. in Youth and Family Recreation from Brigham Young University. Mat is married to Chenae Duerden and they have four children, Jackson, Layla, Cooper, and Adele.
- PhD, Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences, Texas A&M University, 2009
- MS, Youth and Family Recreation, Brigham Young University, 2006
- BA, German, Brigham Young University, 2003
- Academy of Management - The Academy of Management is the preeminent professional association for management and organization scholars. Our worldwide members are professors and Ph.D. students in business schools at universities, academics in related social science and other fields, and practitioners who value knowledge creation and application. Founded in 1936, our global community today is nearly 20,000 strong, spanning 115 countries. 2016 - 2017
- National Recreation and Park Association 2005 - 2016
- "From ordinary to extraordinary: A framework of experience types", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 3-5, Volume 49, Issue 3-5, Pages 196-216, 2018.
- "Leisure at work and employee flourishing", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 3-5, Volume 49, Issue 3-5, Pages 311-332, 2018.
- "Why people play at work: A theoretical examination of leisure-at-work", Leisure Sciences, Edition 6, Volume 40, Issue 6, Pages 634-648, 2018.
- "Why People play at work: A theoretical examination of leisure-at-work", Leisure Sciences, Pages 15, Routledge, NY, New York, 2017.
- "Being Student and Practitioner Centered: Lessons Learned from Integrating a Recreation Management Department into a Business School.", Schole: A Journal of Leisure Studies and Recreation Education, Edition 2, Volume 31, Issue 2, Pages 11, Sagamore, 2016.
- "Facilitating innovation in leisure service organizations", Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, Edition 2, Volume 34, Issue 2, Pages 49-61, 2016.
- "Conceptualizing structured experiences: Seeking interdisciplinary integration", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 5, Volume 47, Issue 5, Pages 601-620, 2015.
- "The impact of camp employment on the workforce development of emerging adults", Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, Edition 1, Volume 32, Issue 1, Pages 26-44, 2014.
- "Increasing and Generalizing Self-Efficacy: The effects of adventure recreation on the academic efficacy of early adolescents", Journal of Leisure Research, Edition 2, Volume 47, Issue 2, Pages 165-183, Sagamore, Urbana, IL, 2014.
- "The diversity of therapeutic recreation: Application of TR in corporate world of business", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 47, Issue 1, Pages 1-12, National Recreation and Parks Association, 2013.
- "The impact of direct and indirect experiences on the development of environmental knowledge, attitudes and behavior", Journal of Environmental Psychology, Edition 4, Volume 30, Issue 4, Pages 379-392, 2010.
- "The impact of socialization on youth program outcomes: A social development model perspective", Leisure Sciences, Edition 4, Volume 32, Issue 4, Pages 299-317, 2010.
- "Adventures in identity development: The impact of a two-week adventure program on adolescent identity development", Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, Edition 4, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 341-359, 2009.
- "The attributes of effective field staff in wilderness programs: Changing youths' perspectives of being "cool"", Therapeutic Recreation Journal, Edition 1, Volume 43, Issue 1, Pages 11-26, 2009.
- Academic - Post-Secondary
- Assistant Professor - Extension Specialist, Texas A&M University 2010 - 2012
- Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Texas A&M University 2009 - 2010
- Alumni Research Fellow , BYU Marriott School , 2016
- Design Thinking Minor Faculty Committee Committee/Council Member January, 2018
- New Faculty Advisory Committee Committee/Council Member October, 2017
- Inclusion Committee Committee/Council Member September, 2017
- Journal of Park and Recreation Administration Editor, Associate Editor August, 2016
- Leisure Sciences Editor, Associate Editor February, 2013 - December, 2018