Management, Department of
Office: 571 TNRB
Jeff Bednar (PhD, University of Michigan) is an Assistant Professor in the Organizational Leadership and Strategy Department at Brigham Young University. His research focuses on how individuals and collectives construct and maintain their identities, and how they respond to various identity challenges. His research has been published in various books and journals including the Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, and Organization Science. Jeff also teaches courses related to organizational behavior and works with organizations and executives wrestling with issues related to their identity and culture.
- PhD, Management and Organizations, University of Michigan, 2013
- MAcc, Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2007
- B.S., Accounting, Brigham Young University, 2007
- Academy of Management 2006
- "Africa, the Informal Economy, and the Hermeneutic Circle", Research Methodology in Strategy and Management (RMSM): Volume 9: Advancing Strategic Management in the African Context: Techniques, Methods, and Designs for Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, Volume 10, Pages 133-166, Emerald, Boston, Amsterdam, 2014.
- "Status and the True Believer: The Impact of Psychological Contracts on Social Status Attributions of Friendship and Influence", Organization Science, 2014.
- "What Clients Don't Get about My Profession: A Model of Perceived Role-Based Image Discrepancies", Academy of Management Journal, 2013.
- "Pathways for Positive Identity Construction at Work: Four Types of Positive Identity and the Building of Social Resources", Academy of Management Review, 2010.
- Clarence J. Hicks Memorial Fellowship , University of Michigan
- Gerald and Lillian Dykstra Fellowship for Teaching Excellence , University of Michigan
- ICOS Small Grant Award , University of Michigan
- Outstanding Reviewer Award , Academy of Management (MOC Division)
- Outstanding Teacher Award , OBHR Group/OLS Department
- Thomas William Leabo Memorial Award for Academics and Teaching , University of Michigan
- Cougar Strategy Emerging Markets Consulting Project Program Chair/Coordinator January, 2015
- Academy of Management Review Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer February, 2015
- Academy of Management- MOC Division Conference-Related Role January, 2011
- Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer February, 2008